cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling to US

Kamster77
I'm a participant level 1

Best option travelling to the US.  My wife and I both with Fido. In states for 10 days

6 REPLIES 6

vicky1304

Can I recieve SMS in USA on the $15 Talk and text plan ?

Hello Vicky1304,

Welcome to the community!

To clarify, is your Talk & Text plan a post-paid or pre-paid plan? I do not see any current $15 post-paid Talk & Text plan listed on Fido.ca. They do, however, currently have a pre-paid option.

If your plan is post-paid and not a Basic plan, it would already have Fido Roam included. The Fido Roam charges will only incur if your phone uses services -- make or receive a call, send a text message or use data abroad. It should be mentioned that while receiving SMS would not incur the roaming charge, any data contained within MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and charged accordingly. You should note that MMS are not solely restricted to pictures or video messages. Messages with subject headers or group messages etc are also considered MMS. If you did not wish to use Fido Roam, you would need to opt-out of the feature. In doing so, any usage would be on a pay-per-use basis. You can view those rates here

It would be important to note that the US has shut-down their '3G' networks (see here). If your phone and plan are not voice-over-LTE (voLTE) capable, you might not be able to use voice or messaging services. As well, since the US has shut-down those networks, they no longer offer US roaming services for pre-paid plans. If your plan is pre-paid, you would not be able to receive SMS in the US.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Kamster77,

Welcome to the community!

You can get more information regarding Fido roam here, it's $12 a day and you can use your phone just as you would in Canada or you can opt out of it and use the pay-per-use rates but it might be cheaper to just get a pre-paid service when you go there depending on your needs as @Original_Lucy suggested.

Zimbobwe13
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

That's a LOT of money if yer travelling nonstop. Is there no plan that charges a monthly rate for maybe a little more than normal plan cost?? And if not, WHY NOT?! Seems a huge money grab from the people that pay your way of life. Doesn't seem fair. Makes someone wanna look around for a better dealio

Thank you @KAPABLE-K for supplying the correct roaming rate for the US. I was having troubling accessing the information from where I am. Merci beaucoup 😉 

Hello from France 🇫🇷 @Kamster77 , as you probably already know, the charge per day to use your fido plan is around $14 give or take. (I can't find it right now)  when I go to the states, I usually have an American prepaid Sim card for use while there for around $30, you'd have to check them out with some of the local providers. I personally use tmobile. Check around and see what meets your needs. Cheers