cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling overseas ESIM - Voicemail, etc.

fd34
I'm a participant level 3

Hello I want some information on travelling for a few weeks to one country overseas. 

1. We intend to get an airalo esim. I don't wish to incur any other charges from Fido. I understand that to do this we can turn off cellular data for the physical sim.

Is above correct?

2. We will largely rely on whatsapp for messaging. However,  I also prefer to see incoming text messages (using an iPhone imessaging). To do this I understand we can turn off "send as SMS". and leave on imessage to not be charged on physical sim? Is that correct? Can MMS be left on or will that incur fido charges?

3. For calling we will use largely whatsapp, facetime etc. However, is it possible to leave on Wi-Fi calling and have that use the esim data automatically if cellular data (fido) is turned off? 

Appreciate any guidance. 

9 REPLIES 9

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Fd34,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, what plan-type do you have? You should note that some plans (ie Basic plans) do not allow for roaming. If you have a plan which does includes roaming, it should be mentioned that Fido Roam is already enabled.  Customers not wishing to use the feature would need to opt-out of Fido Roam. In doing so, usage would be on a pay-per-use basis. You can view those rates here.

The Fido Roam charges will incur if your phone uses services -- make or receive a call, send a text message or use data abroad.

@fd34 wrote:

....1. We intend to get an airalo esim. I don't wish to incur any other charges from Fido. I understand that to do this we can turn off cellular data for the physical sim....

In order to prevent unintended roaming charges, it is generally recommended to disable data and roaming data. However, you should note that disabling those settings does not prevent roaming for voice and messaging. In addition, some manufacturers might allow some data usage to occur despite those settings (see here). That's why it is also generally recommended to enable Airplane and/or Flight modes in order to prevent unintended roaming usage. You could then manually enable Wifi when required. However, those modes would also prevent the phone from receiving text messages.

@fd34 wrote:

...2. We will largely rely on whatsapp for messaging. However,  I also prefer to see incoming text messages (using an iPhone imessaging). To do this I understand we can turn off "send as SMS". and leave on imessage to not be charged on physical sim? Is that correct? Can MMS be left on or will that incur fido charges?...

You should note that while receiving SMS would not incur the roaming charge, the data contained within MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and charged accordingly. You should also note that MMS are not solely restricted to pictures or video messages. Messages with subject headers or group messages etc are also considered MMS. Disabling MMS should prevent that data transfer. Though, it should further be noted that iMessages and RCS messages are sent (and received) as data and not as text messages (SMS).

Since you noted voicemail in your post title, it should also be mentioned that the Voicemail-to-text feature notifications would be sent as MMS. Similarly, I believe iPhone's Visual Voicemail would use data. In addition. you should note that checking voicemail would likely incur roaming charges as it requires calling into your voicemail inbox.

@fd34 wrote:

...3. For calling we will use largely whatsapp, facetime etc. However, is it possible to leave on Wi-Fi calling and have that use the esim data automatically if cellular data (fido) is turned off?...

It should be noted that while using Wifi for regular internet access will not incur Fido Roam charges, there seems to be some misunderstanding regarding Wifi-calling. I'm not sure how people have gotten the impression that Wifi-calling does not use the networks. However, that is not true. While the calls and messages do not transmit via cellular towers, they still use the networks via the internet gateway (see image here). The cellular towers and Wifi are merely alternate means of accessing the networks. Calls and messages would not be able to complete or get sent/received without the networks. As such, using Wifi-calling is technically using Fido services. However, they have allowed certain usage to be free from additional charges. All the messages and calls you receive (from anywhere in the world) will be taken from your plan's voice minutes and messaging limits. As well, all Wifi-calling messages and calls you make to a Canadian phone number while abroad won't incur long-distance or roaming charges (see link above).

With regards to the set-up of your device, you would need to verify it behaves the way you expect. Unfortunately, there is no standardised dual-SIM functioning. The mobile providers only know usage. They do not know what settings may or may not have been enabled on a customer's device. If there is usage occurring when customers do not believe their devices should be able to do so, that usage would still incur charges. Customers would need to know how their devices behave abroad.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

fd34

Thanks for following up. That is extremely convoluted for an essential device for a use which is very common (travelling with an esim). I can't tell if you are suggesting that Fido's set up restricts or hinders esim usage. I will try this another way and tell you what we need and ask how we can achieve it.

We have two numbers with which we are travelling, each with the "30GB, Talk & Text - BYOP" plan. Each has some bonus GB. One phone is an iPhone xsmax. The other phone is an iPhone 11 max. We want to use an airalo sim card while out of the country. We want to avoid exorbitant Fido cell fees for travel and rely on the Airalo data only Esim and Wifi. We will mostly use this with whatsapp and facetime for communications. 

In addition, ideally we can see incoming calls and texts to our fido number without fido charge, even better if we can answer and respond without charge. We understand that two things that exist should make this possible, one is wi-fi calling and the other is message which relies on wifi. 

Please tell us how we can best acheive the above keeping in mind we want to minimize or eliminate additional fido costs while travelling with an esim. 

Thank you 

Hello again,

Apologies if you found my previous reply convoluted.

@fd34 wrote:

.... I can't tell if you are suggesting that Fido's set up restricts or hinders esim usage...

No provider has control over how customers' devices manage its functionality. The different manufacturers have their own ideas of how their products operate. With respect to dual-SIM, some manufacturers may or may not allow a SIM and/or eSIM to be completely disabled. On the other hand, some may allow certain services to be designated to a particular SIM... That functionality is completely dependent on the device and manufacturer.

I understand you want the mobile providers (in this case Fido) to outline what settings to use to prevent unintended roaming charges. Unfortunately, no provider will be able to provide them for particular devices. As mentioned above, some devices do not behave as expected. One would expect that devices would not be allowed to use data if a device's data and roaming data are disabled. Unfortunately, that is apparently not the case with some devices. As also mentioned previously, the mobile providers only know usage. If the manufacturer of those devices allows data when those settings are disabled, that's an issue with how the manufacturers designed the devices. To be clear, that issue is not limited to Fido. It happens with the other providers in Canada, US, and abroad.

@fd34 wrote:

.... We want to avoid exorbitant Fido cell fees for travel and rely on the Airalo data only Esim and Wifi...

If you can ensure the device does not use data on the Fido SIM, that would prevent roaming charges.

@fd34 wrote:

... ideally we can see incoming calls and texts to our fido number without fido charge, even better if we can answer and respond without charge. We understand that two things that exist should make this possible, one is wi-fi calling and the other is message which relies on wifi. 

As mentioned above, receiving SMS does not incur roaming charges. In addition, seeing incoming calls would also not incur roaming charges. However, unless connected to Wifi-calling, receiving MMS and answering calls would incur roaming charges.

You would need to verify your device(s) are capable of being set-up the way you want. In theory, it is possible to have the Fido SIM connect to Wifi-calling using data on another SIM. When I travel, I carry two phones for that purpose (one Fido SIM; other local SIM) since my device is not dual-SIM capable. It may be possible to do the same with a dual-SIM device (depending on functionality). You would need to figure out if it is possible with your particular devices.

As mentioned, I understand you are asking for the how to do that. The problem, though, is that in theory and in practice can be different. For example, in theory, disabling data and roaming data should prevent data from being used. While disabling those settings does prevent data usage with most devices, there are many cases showing that is not necessarily always the case in practice. If it is possible, there may be other online venues showing the settings to achieve your desired usage case.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

fd34

Thank you for the further information. I have some queries to narrow this down further.

Before I go there, this is a serious question, asked with respect if you are a human.  I suspect respect can't genuinely register with a bot so no piont. Are you a human or bot?

Thanks

Hello again,

No, I am not a bot. I am a fellow customer.

**edit** Apologies, I just re-read your post and might have misinterpreted your post. Your question was posed with respect. However, I mis-read it to be with respect to whether I was human... **

Cheers

fd34

If you are a customer and nothing more, I am very appreciative of your help and efforts. Thank you! You sounded  like an advocate for Fido.  Are you also getting paid by Fido? Or are you simply volunteering your time and information?

I thought this was from someone associated with Fido beyond being a customer. I did not understand how Fido could reply with the this, given Iphones are so well known:

" No provider has control over how customers' devices manage its functionality. The different manufacturers have their own ideas of how their products operate. With respect to dual-SIM, some manufacturers may or may not allow a SIM and/or eSIM to be completely disabled. On the other hand, some may allow certain services to be designated to a particular SIM... That functionality is completely dependent on the device and manufacturer"

Hello again,

You should note these forums are community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. So yes, I am just a customer and nothing more. No, I don't get paid by Fido. I contribute here with the hopes of helping people by sharing the tidbits of information I have accummulated over the years.

Yes, iPhones are fairly well-known. However, the mobile providers did not manufacturer the devices. How the phone works with dual-SIM is dependent on how Apple designed it to work (see here). While the Primary and Secondary SIM does seem straight-forward, remember what has happened to some customers with data and roaming data disabled (see above). That issue is also fairly well-known.

Is it possible the dual-SIM could work as you hope? Sure. However, it's also possible the same data usage could also happen. If I remember correctly, I believe Apple once claimed it was due to the SIM needing to connect to their servers. That data transfer might not transmit via the designated data SIM as it would not be considered user data. Unfortunately, it would still be considered roaming data. The mobile providers would not know which scenario is the case until after usage had or had not occurred.

I understand customers want someone to state that by doing this, this and this and they won't get roaming charges. Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen -- even from an actual Fido employee. What happens if roaming charges do, in fact, incur despite following those steps? Customers want to be able to claim that's what they were told to do. If there is usage occurring when customers do not believe their devices should be able to do so, that usage would still incur charges.

Cheers

fd34

Wow you are amazing and your knowledge is amazing. Thank you! There should be so many reasonable ways to handle this for a cell company. It feels like an intentional heavy handed mafia like business model that cell companies would charge people in those cases for roaming. Makes one wonder how much added revenue they get with the status quo.

Hello again,

It's interesting that no one (or very few) ever blames Apple. If I am correct, it all stems from them and their protected ecosystem. All devices ping cellular towers. However, it's Apple devices which need to connect to their servers as well...

Cheers