cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel pack $95 for Europe

21felic123
I'm a participant level 2

Has Fido discontinued its $95 Europe mobile plan that covers 200 phone calls, unlimited texts &

data?

10 REPLIES 10

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

just google the sim service in europe.

step 2: place ur new EU # on ur facebook wall or message others

step 2 (option) , call forward the fido # to EU #

step 3: remove the Fido sim (hide in ur wallet), use the EU sim

step 4: return to Canada (remove EU sim, replace with Fido sim)

step 5: update facebook wall or message others

step 5 (option) , call forward cancel the fido #

step 6 : smile that u saved $

sdistefano
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Indeed, these prices are completely uncompetitive compared to getting a SIM card abroad, in any country I can think of. It's a pity as I'd be willing to pay a moderate markup for the convenience.

FidoThomas
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @21felic123,

Welcome to the Community!

We no longer offer Travel Packs since now our plans comes with Fido Roam Very_Happy

You'll be able to enjoy your plan as if you were at home, for only $12 a day. Plus you only pay for the 15 first day, the rest of the cycle is on us! Sounds great, no? Smiley

21felic123

This is NOT a good deal.

You used to offer 1-month cover for $95.00 before tax.

Now you offer 15 days for $150.00 before tax.

Who is fooling who?

21felic123

The deal is worse than $150, it is $180.00. How I pray for more competition in the mobile market.

Where is Branson, or Monk?

Hey @21felic123

I am sorry to see you feel this way. The truth is that the travel pack bundles we use to offer would also have relatively limited amount of minutes, text messages and data available for that price. 

With FidoROAM, you can use the service as if you were back in Canada. You'll get access to your full plan.

You also have a better control on the charges, as you're only billed for days that you use the service. If there's any given day during your trip where you disable your data roaming and do not make any calls or send text messages, you're not charged! 

We also leave the option to Opt out of FidoROAM to our customers if they prefer to use the pay-per-use roaming rates. You can check them out here.

This can be done by contacting our customer support team from one of the options found here,or even with us on the Community.  

Let us know if you'd prefer to go with pay-per-use rates and I'll send you a PM from here to help you with this. 

sarkakol

I know this is an old thread, but since FidoRoam is still around and travel packs are still gone, it's still relevant.

"You also have a better control on the charges, as you're only billed for days that you use the service. If there's any given day during your trip where you disable your data roaming and do not make any calls or send text messages, you're not charged! "

How is this a good thing?! When I'm in Europe, I don't need to send dozens of texts one day and then none the next day. I don't need long phone calls and endless chats, I don't need to stream anything on my phone. There are many places with wifi where I can do that. What I need on the go is to exchange a few texts with friends in order to finalize plans. What I need is to look up the next train. What I need is to find directions or hours of operation for a place I want to visit. With FidoRoam, whenever I do any of these things, I get charged $15 even if all I did was send a single text message and don't need or want to use it for anything else that day.

"Plus you only pay for the 15 first day, the rest of the cycle is on us! Sounds great, no?"

No, it really doesn't. It's actually the first 20 days now, so since I'm going to Europe for 18 days it doesn't help me at all, and the total comes to $270 which is more than 5 times my normal monthly bill, and I'll still be paying the regular monthly charge. So the cost of FidoRoam for a litle over two weeks would equal six months of regular bills. Not only is that a far cry from a $95 travel pack, it's outrageous and a major ripoff. 

So just like on my last trip two years ago, I'll be making sure that FidoRoam is turned OFF on my device, and good riddance.

Hey @sarkakol Smiley

Sorry to hear you feel this way, but we do appreciate the feedback!

A lot of customers love Fido Roam because it allows them to use their Fido plan just as they would usually in Canada. 
Previous Travel Packs included a limited amount of data, minutes and texts but Fido Roam allows users to access their plan instead.

Of course, you can always opt out of this feature and be billed pay-per-use instead! 
If you'd like to do that, you can contact customer service for assistance.

Happy travels!

sarkakol

Do you really not understand just how outrageously expensive this is?! It might work well for people who spend a lot of time chatting or facetiming or streaming videos and whatnot on their phones. But for someone like me, $15 a day whenever I need to send a text or look up directions is absolutely outrageous. Why not offer both options? That package with a certain number of minutes, text messages and data was more than enough for my needs, and $95 seemed reasonable where $270 isn't.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can't disable Fido Roam while you're away, it has to be done before you travel. And while you can choose to enable it again at some point during your trip, once you do that, you can't turn it off again while you're away. It would be so much better if you could activate it for a day when you think you'll need to use your phone more, and once the 24-hour period expires, the phone would go back to pay-per-use mode until/unless you choose to enable Fido Roam for another day (or other specific time period).; instead of Fido Roam kicking in automatically whenever a trigger event, such as sending a text, occurs.

Hello Sarkakol,

Welcome to the community!

I can't speak to why the Travel Packs were removed. However, I just wanted to clarify that Fido Roam is no longer active for a 24-hour period. Fido Roam is currently offered per calendar day (see here).

As FidoValerie noted, you can opt-out of Fido Roam and use services on a pay-per-use basis. While it would be easier to opt-out when you are in Canada, they do have options for contacting them with access to Wifi (ie Live Chat, Facebook, Twitter etc) so it is possible to do so while outside of Canada as well.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers