cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To use Wi-Fi Calling you also need to be on a Voice Plan

FrankV
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I have a data plan only and followed instructions to enable wi-fi calling but after much digging on the Fido community figured out that a voice plan seems to be a pre-requisite for wi-fi calling. That makes no sense; technically there should be no reason to have a voice plan as a pre-requisite. So is this true and if so why? 

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello FrankV,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, you should note that Wifi-calling via the networks is not the same as other internet call and messaging services (ie Skype, WhatsApp, etc). Other internet calling and messaging services transmit strictly via the internet. On the other hand, Wifi-calling routes through the mobile providers' networks (see graphic here). Since the calls route through the networks, they are considered voice minutes (or text messages) even though you might have connected to the networks via Wifi.

While in Canada, all incoming and outgoing messages and calls that are to or from a Canadian number will be taken from your voice minutes and messaging limits in your monthly plan (see here). That is why you also need a voice plan to use Wifi-calling. There are slighly different stipulations when roaming.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @FrankV,

Welcome to the community!

Data only plans are just that data only, So it does make sense why you would need a voice plan to make and receive calls. Even if you have a voice plan and unless you have unlimited minutes WiFi calling is not free your minutes will be deducted from your monthly allotment. If you go over your minutes' overage fees will apply.