cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text messages from FIDO in the middle of the night...please stop.

DebraLee
I'm a contributor level 1

I have talked to several Fido agents over the years about stopping certain texts, such as reminding me several times a day that I am not on a roaming plan while I am in the USA, even though I clearly do not want that service and my roaming feature is OFF.

I've been told that it's "all or nothing", and they cannot stop the junk texts because then I won't get the "important" messages either. In my mind this is the same as spamming your customers, and there has to be a way around it.

But this posting is to ask Fido to stop texting me in the middle of the night (1:44 am to be exact). This text was to remind me that my U.S. Talk & Text Travel Pack has expired. I know; I've been home for weeks. I also got a middle of the night one when I subscribed to the Travel Pack...again, woke me up.

Fido, you must know that many people use their cell phones as their alarm clocks, and that our phones are near our pillows at night. Texting us at 1:44 am wakes us up! Please think a bit before you send out massive texts to sleeping people!

Thank you

***Edited to add Labels***

5 REPLIES 5

AdamBeast
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

Hi DebraLee

I apologize for the inconvenience, we can indeed help to remove your number from our  Marketing distribution lists. 

However, the text message you recieved is a system notification which we cannot unsubscribe as for now. 

Even we can do it, it is still possible that you recieve text message from someone else during the night. 

I would like suggest you to use the "Do no disturb" or "Night" mode of the phone, you can setup a scheduled time for which during this time, all incoming calls and sms will be silenced. 

Both iPhone and Android phone support this mode. 

Do you mind to tell what phone you are using? 

DebraLee

I find it hard to believe Fido cannot schedule these system notifications to occur during normal waking hours. The only texts I have ever received in the middle of the night are from Fido. My family and friends are considerate, so I've never had to worry about being woken up by my phone at 1:44 am.

I don't want to have to remember to use the "Do Not Disturb" feature or "Night" mode of my phone, and then remember to turn it back on, because there may be a true emergency one night, so that is not a solution.

Why is Fido sending messages in the middle of the night?

AdamBeast
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

The message is sent automaticly as soon as any important change had beed done on your account. 

Imagine what would you feel if you were still in US, and we sent the roaming pack expired notification to you 6 hours later? 

These kind of changes is not happening everyday, and for most of you account changes, we are sending emails notification instead. 

For do Not disturb mode, it is very flexible, you can pre-setup a start and ending time for it, so you do not need to turn it on and off everyday, and for iPhone, there is an option which if a caller is calling you a 2nd time, it will ring. 

If you don't like this mode, there is still a work around. 

You can add the number sending you the message to a contact list, and assign this contact a mute ring for incoming calls/sms, then you won't be hear anything next time for this number. 

I hope these clarifiations can help, DebraLee.

Hey DebraLee!

Sorry for waking you up with those messages,

Our system sends text messages only between 8 am and 10 pm EST, however, if you were out of service zone or if the phone was off it might be delivered late.  If the reception is bad at some point or if you are ''roaming'' on different network it can also delay the moment you receive the text message. 

Those suggestions about the Do not disturb mode can help you regarding this, but you can also have a sound profile that will allow you to only block the sounds for text messages during the night. Some phone have a feature called ''Phone calls only'' your phone will still ring for your alarm, but also if someone calls you. Everything else, emails, sms, apps, will be muted. 

Hope this helps.

DebraLee

I'm sorry, but I don't buy any of these reasons for waking me up with texts. My phone is always ON, I was not out of the service area at any point when these messages were received, or should have been received according to Adam, nor was I roaming. I was home SLEEPING with my phone ON.

I will stop with responding now, because I feel I've made my point. Whether Fido chooses to look into this and see that what I am saying is valid, is Fido's choice.