Text To Home Phone charge

I'm a Participant Level 3 qvtt
I'm a Participant Level 3

Text To Home Phone charge

I am a happy Fido customer with 3 cell lines. I have been pleased with Fido service until I saw a charge of 0.25c for Texting To Home Phone. It was simply a mistake on my part to text to a landline instead of a cell line, but this kind of mistake is very common especially when you pull a contact with more than one numbers from your contact list and chose the wrong number, and I am sure that this is likely to happen to anyone. Texting to a landline triggers some sort of service that result in a 0.25c charge. I strongly think that there should be a warning message when such attempt is made instead of "secretly" charging me 0.25c.

I have contacted Fido and got the 0.25c credit, but this is not a question of getting the money back or not, it is a matter of PRINCIPLE. This kind of mistake does happen often to anyone and Fido makes money out of it, not very ETHICAL.

Accepted Solution

Re: Text To Home Phone charge

Hey qvtt!

Welcome to the Community Smiley

On the first use of Text to home phone, you'll receive a text message to confirm the language to be used and the price of the service. In your case, it's most likely not the first time you use it which explains why you didn't get the text message notifying you of the charge. Also, first time use of this service is not charged because you know, mistakes can happen Wink 

If you prefer to block the feature permanently, then just send an email to support@telemessage.com indicating that you wish to block all Text to Home messages from your Fido phone number (include your number in the e-mail).

Once you send your email, all Text to Home messages will be blocked within 2 business days.

Hope this helps!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 23
Former Moderator FidoSamantha
Former Moderator
Solution

Hey qvtt!

Welcome to the Community Smiley

On the first use of Text to home phone, you'll receive a text message to confirm the language to be used and the price of the service. In your case, it's most likely not the first time you use it which explains why you didn't get the text message notifying you of the charge. Also, first time use of this service is not charged because you know, mistakes can happen Wink 

If you prefer to block the feature permanently, then just send an email to support@telemessage.com indicating that you wish to block all Text to Home messages from your Fido phone number (include your number in the e-mail).

Once you send your email, all Text to Home messages will be blocked within 2 business days.

Hope this helps!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 23

Hi Samantha, thanks for your reply. My point is this kind of mistake will likely happen again and again in the future, and each mistake will cost 0.25c. Why isn't Fido providing a warning message everytime an attempt to text to a landline instead of cashing in on user's mistakes Fido knowingly knew that would happen all the time ?

To me, this a money trap from Fido as simple as that. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 23
Former Moderator

The warning message is only sent once since it's not a very common issue. If you prefer, we can have it blocked for you. Is that something you'd like me to look into?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 23

Yes. Please block the service (Text To Landlines) on all my 3 accounts. Thanks.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 23
Former Moderator

Sounds good!

I'll send you a PM so we can get started Smiley 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 23
I'm a Contributor Level 2 647nk
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Hello I would also like to block this feature it is costing me money each month.

Please Help Asap! I have two lines.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 23

Hey 647nk!

You can block this feature by sending an email to support@telemessage.com indicating that you wish to block all Text to Home messages from your Fido phone number. Once you send your email, all Text to Home messages will be blocked within 2 business days.

Hope this helps! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 23
I'm a Participant Level 1 tarajano
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi to everyone,

Thanks to all for this post. 

I had been also charged in my two lines with this service

and I do not recall receiving any notification.

Thanks and best regards, 

Manuel

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 23
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

@FidoAmandaN wrote:

Hey 647nk!

You can block this feature by sending an email to support@telemessage.com indicating that you wish to block all Text to Home messages from your Fido phone number. Once you send your email, all Text to Home messages will be blocked within 2 business days.

Hope this helps! 

Anyone try this? Does it work? I'd like to know before texting my phone numbers to a company I don't know much about. I went to the telemessage website to see who they are and the Fido "text to home" connection is not obvious to me.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 23
I'm a Participant Level 1 Steelrodz
I'm a Participant Level 1

I am also quite upset about FIDO automatically enabling this feature on our lines.  When you are a businessman in a hurry and need to text someone, you don't have time to check every # to see if it a cell or land line.  Text-to-landline should be a service that you need to actively enable.  Yes you can remove it and re-enable it by emailing  support@telemessage.com indicating that you wish to block all Text to Home messages from your Fido phone number, but this is a hasstle that we should not have to endure.  By the way, when I went directly to the Telemessage.com website, the contact us form did not work for me, even after I proved I was not a robot (my wife may say otherwise) so I had to email them through my email service.  All in all an unnecessary hastle, FIDO!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 23
I'm a Participant Level 3 Moomoosaurus

Can Fido reps disable this now?  I was told on live chat there is nothing they can do, and I don't really want to text telemessages.com my phone number as I don't know who they are. It's incredible that they provide a "feature" taht i never wanted and cannot turn off, which chaeges me 25 cents without a warning each time i text to a landline by mistake.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 23

Hey @Moomoosaurus,

Welcome to our Community!

I assure you that sending an email to support@telemessage.com is a safe procedure to follow to have all Text to home messages blocked from your Fido phone. 

Once it's done, messages will be blocked within 2 business days.

Hope this helps Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 23
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Hi I need some helps.with this too please. (Current waiting time 18 minutes to speak to a representative)

Ihave a text to home charge on my latest bill  I have the 85$ device10Gb plan that includes unlimited calls video and texts plan + unlimited long distance !?!

There is no detail about identifying the number dialedit refers to Event  I do not believe it's my doing    could this be a charge from someone send me a text if so I will whitelist. 

Screenshot_2018-01-24-11-28-16-1.png

Please let me know!

Thanks Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 23
MVP
MVP

Hello Scooby-Doo,

Scooby-Doo wrote:... could this be a charge from someone send me a text if so I will whitelist....

Fido does not charge for any received SMS/MMS. Note, however, the data portion of a MMS while roaming would be considered roaming data and be charged as such.

As noted previously in the thread, sending texts to a landline (home phone) is a 3rd party (TeleMessage) service which incurs additional cost. If you would like to prevent sending texts to a landline, you would have to contact TeleMessage directly and ask them to disable the service for your number.

Contacting support@telemessage.com does indeed work as this community member has indicated here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 23