Spam calls every day in Chinese. Block the number, calls keep coming.

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1

Spam calls every day in Chinese. Block the number, calls keep coming.

Every day I receive calls in Chinese. Every day I block these numbers. Everyday the calls keep coming from a different number. 

Fido will say they can change my number. CRTC says the phone companies have the ability but choose to not implement call blocking on suspected robo callers.

It makes you feel helpless.

Accepted Solution

Re: Spam calls every day in Chinese. Block the number, calls keep coming.

Hello,

Welcome to the community!

I can understand the frustration. I think everyone is rather fed up about getting SPAM and SCAM calls from spoofed numbers. Unfortunately, there currently isn't much that any of the mobile providers can do to prevent them. Since the spammers/scammers use spoofed numbers, it is not possible to identify the true spammers' number. The numbers shown on caller ID do not belong to the spammers. They often belong to innocent, unsuspecting people. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done to prevent numbers from being spoofed. In some instances, the spammers/scammers will use the recipients' own phone numbers to make the calls. Even the RCMP are not immune to being spoofed (see here). 

The mobile providers have implemented Universal Call Blocking which is meant to block calls from malformed phone numbers. That said, I'm doubtful whether it will have much of an effect on the amount of SPAM or SCAM calls since many of them appear to have properly formed phone numbers. In addition, a new technology, STIR/SHAKEN (Secure Telephone Identity Revisited/Signature-based Handling of Asserted Information Using Tokens) is being adopted to further reduce the amount of nuisance calls (see here). However, I have my doubts as to whether those measures will reduce the amount of SPAM calls. My understanding is the STIR/SHAKEN will only identify possible SPAM calls and mark the calls as suspected SPAM.

I understand the CRTC might have told you that the ability to block, however, the problem is broader than merely solely a Canadian issue (see here). The new STIR/SHAKEN measures relies on tokens from the callers' providers as well as the recipients' providers properly receiving them. Both caller and recipient providers need to have the measures implemented.

Unfortunately, until the technology to unmask the true number of spammers/scammers is readily available (not simply the number shown on the caller ID), the only solution currently is to block the numbers on your phone.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP
Solution

Hello,

Welcome to the community!

I can understand the frustration. I think everyone is rather fed up about getting SPAM and SCAM calls from spoofed numbers. Unfortunately, there currently isn't much that any of the mobile providers can do to prevent them. Since the spammers/scammers use spoofed numbers, it is not possible to identify the true spammers' number. The numbers shown on caller ID do not belong to the spammers. They often belong to innocent, unsuspecting people. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done to prevent numbers from being spoofed. In some instances, the spammers/scammers will use the recipients' own phone numbers to make the calls. Even the RCMP are not immune to being spoofed (see here). 

The mobile providers have implemented Universal Call Blocking which is meant to block calls from malformed phone numbers. That said, I'm doubtful whether it will have much of an effect on the amount of SPAM or SCAM calls since many of them appear to have properly formed phone numbers. In addition, a new technology, STIR/SHAKEN (Secure Telephone Identity Revisited/Signature-based Handling of Asserted Information Using Tokens) is being adopted to further reduce the amount of nuisance calls (see here). However, I have my doubts as to whether those measures will reduce the amount of SPAM calls. My understanding is the STIR/SHAKEN will only identify possible SPAM calls and mark the calls as suspected SPAM.

I understand the CRTC might have told you that the ability to block, however, the problem is broader than merely solely a Canadian issue (see here). The new STIR/SHAKEN measures relies on tokens from the callers' providers as well as the recipients' providers properly receiving them. Both caller and recipient providers need to have the measures implemented.

Unfortunately, until the technology to unmask the true number of spammers/scammers is readily available (not simply the number shown on the caller ID), the only solution currently is to block the numbers on your phone.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted

Something which would go a long way to help solve this problem is for the phone providers to allow uis to block certain area code calls. Unfortunately the providers answer is they are not allowed to do that. Why not? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted

Hey @normike

The available solution on this thread goes into details as to why that is not possible.That said, you do have the option to block calls on your device.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2

There are way too many spam calls.  Spammers are using unused numbers for display.    
Is there any way to stop the spam calls or we just ignore all calls that are not on my contact list?  Or keep switching to other providers for a new number?

need to know if the industry has any solution that can be implemented?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted

Hey @Tingt

We understand spam calls are annoying and are working with our industry partners on this issue. Since this is affecting all providers, changing your number or your provider wouldn't help.  However, depending on the phone you're using, you might be able to restrict calls to people who are in your contact list. I'd suggest checking with the manufacturer if that's a feature that your phone offers.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted

have been blocking numbers but what if those numbers become a valid number?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted

Hey @Tingt

If you ever need to receive a call from a number you've blocked, you can always unblock it!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 8