cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slight Time Difference Correction?

JusMe
I'm a contributor level 1

I've got my basic phone set to use the network time, but it seems to be about one minute or fractionally more than the time others on different networks get, or the time I find on my computer, using a North American time setting network.

Sure, it's not significant, but slightly annoying. Is it the Fido network that's out of synch with international time chimes?

***Edited to add labels***

9 REPLIES 9

FidoRachel
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey JusMe,

Did you set the time manually?

Let me know,

JusMe

No, I've got the phone to set it automatically through the network.

That's what makes it so strange - all automatic, but just that small difference between my phone and others'.

It's really such a small thing, just a little bit annoying.

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi JusMe!

That is indeed a bit odd. What is the model of the phone you are using? Is it a Fido phone, or is it unlocked? Have you tried to restore the phone?

Let me know! Smiley

JusMe

It's quite old, a Nokia C1-01 model, a very basic phone that I use just for phone calls.  I really don't want anything more, not even a camera!

I can't remember if I got this from Fido some eyars back, but think perhaps I did, and that it's locked to Fido with no possibility (it's an older model) of unlocking it.  Not sure about that, though.

I don't quite know how to "restore" the phone.  Turn it off and then reboot maybe, but that's about it.

@JusMe wrote:

It's quite old, a Nokia C1-01 model, a very basic phone that I use just for phone calls.  I really don't want anything more, not even a camera!

I can't remember if I got this from Fido some eyars back, but think perhaps I did, and that it's locked to Fido with no possibility (it's an older model) of unlocking it.  Not sure about that, though.

I don't quite know how to "restore" the phone.  Turn it off and then reboot maybe, but that's about it.

Hello JusMe,

Just curious, how does the time on your phone compare with the Time & Date site I posted above? Is the time from that site comparable to the times you found from the other networks or your computer? When I checked the time on my computer, the time (automatically synchronised) from time.windows.com server was slightly off from time.nist.gov server. Apparently, 'asymmetric routes and network congestion can cause errors of upto 100ms or more'. 

If your phone is rather old, it may not synchronise the time as often as you might think. Even with 'automatic' settings, it may only synchronise when you first connect to the network. If you kept your phone on all the time, then it would use the phone's internal clock. I had a similar situation with my old phone. I had to either a) turn off my phone and turn it back on to let it reconnect to the network, or b) manually re-sync the time with the network. 

For someone who rarely turned off my phone I usually opted for b). I would have to go to the time settings and choose 'manually adjust time' and save that setting, and then go back and choose 'automatically adjust time' and save that setting again. Luckily my phone's internal clock wasn't off by a lot so I didn't have to do this too often.

Hope that helps Smiley

Cheers

JusMe

This really does seem so trivial, but just a little annoying.

is the time different in comparison to other providers, or is there also a difference in comparison to the time on other Fido phones?

It's fast by one minute and five seconds, according to my computer network time setting:  Apple Americas/U.S. (time.apple.com)

I've also discovered that, without being so specific, it's about a minute faster than others' cell phone times.  I'll assume it's the same difference, but only from hasty comparisons mine seems that minute or so faster.  I have no idea what networks they're on.

I did try to reset the phone settings, and that made no difference at all.

I've just set the time correctly (according to my computer network) manually, and then reset it to update automatically.  Maybe this will resolve the minor tiny issue?  Have to wait and see.

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Keep us posted! Smiley

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thank you for the additional information!

To restore the phone back to factory conditions, select Menu > Settings > Restore factory sett. and from the following:

Restore sett. only — Reset all preference settings without deleting any personal data. Restore all — Reset all preference settings and delete all personal data, such as contacts, messages, media files, and activation keys. 

I'd also like to clarify, is the time different in comparison to other providers, or is there also a difference in comparison to the time on other Fido phones?

Let me know! Smiley

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@JusMe wrote:

I've got my basic phone set to use the network time, but it seems to be about one minute or fractionally more than the time others on different networks get, or the time I find on my computer, using a North American time setting network.

Sure, it's not significant, but slightly annoying. Is it the Fido network that's out of synch with international time chimes?

Hello JusMe,

The time on my phone using the network-provided time is synchronised to the second with here. 

Cheers