cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam? Text received today: "FIDO MOBILE DEPARTMENT Due to...

lar57jsy
I'm a participant level 1

Scam? Text received today: "FIDO MOBILE DEPARTMENT Due to an overbilling last month, we issued you a cash-back of $135.60 CAD    Claim here: http://89.45(...etc)  *Data rates may apply"

-

I checked my FIDO account and bank statement and found no unusual billing of any kind from FIDO, so I'm assuming it's a scam? Say what?

7 REPLIES 7

Olga2503

Hello, it's Fido. We've detected an error in your recent biII that resuIted in an overcharge. To address this, we've transferred $74.12 (CAD) to you via lNTERAC e-Transfer. Please ensure to deposit it by February 17, 2024, at: http://fido-refund74inc.com 

Hello Olga2503,

Welcome to the community!

You're right to be suspicious! That message is most definitely a SCAM and/or SPAM. Thanks for flagging it! As mentioned here, you can also forward these messages to 7726 (SPAM). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter (see here). Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

I'm guessing the message was sent from a phone number. I understand forwarding those messages does not include phone number. However, it is unlikely the owner of the phone number is sending the messages. The scammers/spammers often use spoofed phone numbers when sending those messages and making SCAM and/or SPAM calls (see here).

A couple of tell-tale signs the the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't send etransfers via email or text message link. Fido will automatically credit your account.

In addition, if Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. As far as I am aware, many of their promotions come from 4745 or 4735 (see here and here). Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

Another sign is Fido's recent adoption of the a URL shortening service. I believe it's Bit.ly (see here). As far as I am aware, the links would be for the Fido.ca domain

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Iamahuja

FlDO ALERT*
Following the failure of our networks in July, users can now claim a $90.00 insurance as part of our promise to provide the best service possible. We guarantee that steps have been done to ensure that this issue doesn't happen again.
Get it here:
https://bit.ly/FlDRMBD

got this today 

Hello @Iamahuja , that is definitely a scam. Please forward to Fid spams at 7726 and let the tech department deal with it. Thanks for letting the community know about it. I'll keep an eye open for it. 😉 

isabellajp

i got the same message 

FlDO ALERT*
A $90.00 adjustment has been given to you as a resuIt of an error found in your FlDO Account.
CIaim it beIow:
https://bit.ly/FlDOcorrection

Hey there!

Thank you for reporting this to us? Did you also forward the content of the message to 7726 (SPAM) as suggested by @Cawtau. Please do if you haven't yet.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Lar57jsy,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information! You're right, that message is most definitely SPAM. The providers are doing all that they can to prevent SPAM SMS. You can help by forwarding these messages to 7726 (SPAM) (see here). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

A couple of tell-tale signs the the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't send etransfers via email or text message link. If you are indeed overcharged, Fido will simply credit your account.

In addition, if Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers