Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run off data

Lav5
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hello, 

I have a 5GB plan and I have noticed data runs off fast.

Thought it was just me at first but, talking with a colleague of mine, she actually told me she switched company (from Fido to Bell) due to the unusual Data consumption.

How does it work like? I mean, I am new to Canada but I have traveled in many places all over the world, sometimes for months, and I had never had this problem before. Sometimes it drops from 3 GB to 1 for nothing

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Lav5,

Welcome to the community!

I'm not sure why your device seems to use more data on Fido vs other providers. Have you verified that your settings have not changed? It might seem obvious but it should be mentioned that a faster connection speed will use data more quickly. The other providers in different Countries might not provide access to the same data speeds as in Canada. For example, the download speeds from the US providers is less than those from Canadian providers (see here vs here). I'm not saying that is the reason for the apparent data usage but it's something to consider.

What I can say is that I do not experience any excessive data usage. I barely come close to reaching my data allotment limit monthly. My device is android-based and I have limited data access to only a few select apps. I understand my device settings might not suit everyone. However, it suggests that unwarranted data usage might be settings or app related rather than somehow due to the network.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers