cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming

lep000
I'm a participant level 2

I am currently abroad (South America), I do not wish to use roaming since I will have wifi all day, every day. My question is, will I get charged if I:

1) Receive an SMS

2) I pick up a phone call 

3) I do not pick it up but it goes to voicemail and later I check my voice mail

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Lep000,

Welcome to the community!

When roaming, it is usage of your services (make/receive calls, send text messages, and data) which would incur the roaming charges (Fido Roam, if post-paid and did not opt-out). While receiving SMS does not incur roaming charges, any data within a MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and would incur roaming charges. You should note that MMS are not limited to picture and video messages. Text messages with subject headers are also sent as MMS. To prevent unintentional roaming charges, you might consider disabling any auto-retrieve settings for MMS messages. Once disabled, you would receive a SMS notifying you that you have a MMS (no charge). However, you should note that MMS do not generally get sent via Wifi so downloading any MMS would likely incur roaming charges even if you are connected to Wifi.

Yes, you will also incur roaming charges for answering a phone call. You should note that while having calls forwarded to voicemail (missed or dismissed calls) would not incur any roaming charges, checking your voicemail would incur those charges.

You should also note that with your Fido SIM connected to a foreign network, any data usage (intentional or background) would be considered roaming and charged accordingly. You would need to ensure the settings in your phone are not using data without your knowledge (ie system or app updates etc). You might also consider keeping Airplane or Flight mode enabled for the duration of your trip. You could manually enable Wifi when required.

Is your phone supported for Wifi-calling? You should note that some Wifi-calling usage is also considered roaming and would be charged accordingly.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

lep000

I have a pre-paid plan

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. The same roaming rules apply, however, pre-paid plans do not allow for roaming data. Unfortunately, I don't think pre-paid plans allow Wifi-calling so that wouldn't be an option. The roaming rates for South America are:

South America.jpg

~taken from here.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers