cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Charges inside Canada 🍁

MirandaJana
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

This post is to see how many people had the same issue as me. I did travel to Morden (is close to border but still Canada, received 2 calls while was there. Between 2 and 3, them we decide to go to US and crossed the border around 4:05 (we had to pay 6 dollars fee, so we have the Credicard charge time to make sure), since 3:30 I was with no service and had to travel trusting signs and God, because I just had the roaming message at 6:50 Pm, that I was on my way back and was able to arrive in Walmart to download an offline Map. When asked Fido about the charges, they said that would remove, but they're going to block my roaming. What make me really upset, because I had no service per hours, got lost and still was charge and they did not believe that I was in Canada. So be careful, they will charge roaming if you're close to border and receive a call. And still had to call chat and call and both people that got the call did not believe and did the same accusation. I had all the proof of the time that I was in Canada, because some minutes after the call went to mpi to get insurance, before travelling and as far as I know just have mpi in Canada.

866BC413-0179-473D-A000-B250E5C7D378.png

3 REPLIES 3

fgp
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I have an even more disturbing issue.  I have been charged for US roaming without leaving Canada at all!  Never entered the US, didn't receive any texts regarding roaming, but dinged for $12 on latest bill.

Trying to get this corrected. but as usual Fido is hiding behind the giant wall they have built between them and their customers.

Just a warning to others to always check your bill.

Hello Fgp,

Sorry to hear you've incurred roaming charges while still in Canada. Unfortunately, it can happen close to the border. However, as mentioned in the solution below, there are supposed to be measures in place to prevent such connections.

You should note this forum is community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. If you would like assistance with the matter, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello MirandaJana,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear of your recent travel issues. Are you sure you were charged for roaming when you were in Morden? Fido is supposed to have an accidental roaming solution in place for those who live or travel to areas near the US border (see here and here). It's possible that particular US cellular tower has not yet been identified as problematic. You would need to discuss the matter with customer service so they might identify that location as an issue. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

However, if you travelled to the US that same day, that would be considered the same Fido Roam period. When you were in the US, had you enabled roaming data on your device? If you had not, that could explain why you were unable to use online navigation. Alternatively, it should be noted that roaming services are dependent on the local infrastructure. If the are you travelled was not adequately covered, then unfortunately, you would not be able to access services.

@MirandaJana wrote:

...When asked Fido about the charges, they said that would remove, but they're going to block my roaming. What make me really upset, because I had no service per hours, got lost and still was charge and they did not believe that I was in Canada.  

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure I completely understand. You did state you crossed the border, though. Did they say they blocked your roaming entirely, or prevent accidental roaming when you are in Canada?

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers