cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Charges Out of Canada

Hanket
I'm a participant level 2

Having just returned from a trip to Italy, I learned that just switching to a downloaded ESIM for Italy was not enough to avoid roaming charges. The Billing Rep I phoned at FIDO was unable to explain the reason for the roaming charge and advised I go to see a Tech at a FIDO outlet for details. 

The Rep at FIDO Outlet advised that the FIDO Sim was not deactivated. As I had a IPhone 11 with a removable SIM card, I would have needed to pull it out to disconnect from FIDO roaming. If I had an IPhone with an electronic FIDO ESIM, I would have had to deactivate that ESIM to avoid a roaming charge. 

Si, even though I had activated the Italian ESIM, I was billed 13 days at a rate of $15. 

PS: Not enough info on FIDO APP to inform clients of this. I'd advise visiting a FIDO outlet relative to Tech issues on use of a secondary downloaded electronic ESIM.  

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Hanket,

I replied to your other post here.

Sorry to hear you've incurred unexpected roaming charges.

@Hanket wrote:

...Not enough info on FIDO APP to inform clients of this.....

The Fido Roam charge incurs when your device uses Fido Services abroad. That is, the charge will incur when you make/receive calls, send text messages or your device uses data outside of Canada (see here). The mobile providers only know usage. If a device is using services when its settings are set not to use them, that's an issue with the device. The mobile providers have no access to a device's settings to know what settings are enabled/disabled.

Unfortunately, there is no standard for dual-SIM or eSIM function implementation. Some manufacturers might allow complete disabling of a physical SIM or eSIM while others might only disable data, for example. As you note, even Apple appears to have different functionality in their different iPhone iterations.

In addition, some phone settings might not function as customers expect. It is generally expected that disabling data and roaming data will prevent data usage abroad. However, some manufacturers might allow some data usage to occur despite those settings (see here). That's why it is usualy recommended to enable Airplane and/or Flight modes to prevent unintended roaming usage. You could then manually enable Wifi when required. Even Airplane mode does not appear to always prevent the connection to foreign networks with some devices, though. The mobile providers cannot possibly provide device setting information relevant to every mobile device. Customers need to know how their devices behave. Yes, visiting Fido tech can help provide some information. Asking the device manufacturer and visiting relevant device forums can also provide useful information and experiences. I understand some people consider that blaming customers. However, as mentioned, mobile providers only know usage. No usage abroad, no roaming charges.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hanket

Cattau,

On my first read of your reply, I thought PR reply. However, your referenced link screamed dig further as I had read the info on the FIDO website and in some online forums before downloading the electronic ESIM. A fellow traveller and techi downloaded the same ESIM and I deactivated data settings includingon individual services/APPS. 

Your reply had a link that revealed more about FIDO roaming charges. Phones look for tower connections even when not in use. You ding customers for phones pinging off a tower that is nearby! Come on! That's not right!

i know I used my phone only when WIFI was available. Now to do a deep dive on my roaming charges. But will FIDO care? From the referenced Forum replies...No is the answer. 

Anazing, I thought my visit to the FIDO store was informative but the Techi there didn't mention tower searching Ping charges. 

Hi @Hanket , sorry that happened to you. I just returned home from a sailing trip to Alaska and learned quickly that even though we were close to shore, a network called GCI took over all calls. This is a network that cruise ships use and the charges are eye watering. Luckily for me, it was someone else's experience that warned me about it. Not your experience but,  I did learn to research what to expect when traveling with my device. I remove my Sim card from my device when I travel and either purchase a local Sim card for my trip or just rely on wifi when available. Devices are designed to provide location data, receive texts, switch to wifi calling, etc when your Sim is available. I now always remove my Sim when I travel thanks to the advice of numerous travel and mobile carrier forums. It doesn't help you much now, but hopefully will allow you to make informed decisions in the future.