cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting a compassionate discount from extra long distance call charge

I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I am using a Fido phone with 1500 min add-on long-distance calls to Bangladesh. I arrived in Canada in Feb 2022. My dad, as a cancer patient, was admitted to a hospital for his treatment (May-June 2022). Therefore, I had to contact my friends and relatives to arrange his treatment during that time. As I was in a very difficult situation, I could not follow how many international long-distance minutes I used. I Fido account to set to auto payment with my credit card. Today, while I was checking my account, I see I have been charged 492.0 dollars for extra 383 long-distance minutes. I understand it was my fault, but, still, it is a very bad situation for me to pay this extra amount as a student.  I am requesting Fido if there is an opportunity to have a waiver or a compassionate discount from the extra charge. Thank you so much for understanding my situation. 

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello 920645751,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear of your situation. Generally, if the calls are already on the system, it isn't possible to retroactively append those charges.

I understand you are requesting a discount on compassionate grounds. You should note that this forum is community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. You would need to contact customer service to see if they have any options given your situation. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Fido does offer a Preferred International calling rate add-on (see here). It would reduce the amount you would have to pay for calls to Bangladesh should you exceed those 1500 minutes again. However, as mentioned, it isn't possibly to use that add-on for calls already made on your bill.

Unfortunately, if they are unable to offer assistance on compassionate grounds, you would be responsible for the entire amount. I also understand this is a difficult time given your situation and receiving such a bill even more distressing. If you're unable to make full payment on the bill, you might consider arranging a payment schedule. To make an arrangement, you'll need to contact the credit operations team. It should be mentioned that a payment arrangement might not be available in all situations.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers