cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent data usage details

karabeth
I'm a participant level 2

1) the data usage that my iPhone shows in Settings is never close to the amount of data billed.

2) since Fido can monitor and measure in real time, "1 hour of free data usage" , then why can't I see the usage details of how a 1/2 GB of billed cellular data has been used since the beginning of this billing cycle, 24 hours ago??? I have wifi at home and wifi at work. I've been with Fido for well over a decade and I'm McGill University's corporate Mobile IT Asset procurement coordinator and manager of our GACEQ Telus contract, so this isn't my first rodeo.

8 REPLIES 8

FidoPamela
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to add here that we now offer real time data tracking directly through your online account and My Account app. Smiley 

You can now see at all time exactly how much data you used. 

Hope that helps! 

HypnoToad
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

What happened to real time data tracking?
I'm looking to see how I used 90% of my data in 20 days but all I'm hearing is that I can see it on my next bill.
Why can't I see it now?

Hello HypnoToad,

Welcome to the community!

What are you looking to find exactly? How exactly your data was used or how much of your data you've used during your month?

If you head over to your app you can see how much data you've used and how much is left for your cycle.

Though finding how exactly your data was used can only be found through your phone's settings.

Hope this helps.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Karabeth,

I understand this isn't your first rodeo. However, iPhones do not align data usage with your billing period. It's a total of all the data used since you last reset the counter. Assuming you do regularly reset your data counter, are you sure you reset your counter the at the same time the mobile provider resets theirs?

Additionally, there usually will be a slight difference in the monthly data usage reported by a mobile device and that from the mobile provider since they calculate data usage differently (see here).

As FidoFaiza mentioned above, it is best to monitor your usage with My Account and/or the app. Though, you should note that there can be a slight delay in the updating of your usage statistics.

@karabeth wrote:

2) since Fido can monitor and measure in real time, "1 hour of free data usage" ,...

The 1 hour of free data usage doesn't necessarily get calculated as an amount of data. It's likely measured as a time-frame (ie 1 hour). It doesn't matter how much data was used within that hour -- you could stream HD video continuously or only send a single email -- it would still count as a free hour.

@karabeth wrote:

...why can't I see the usage details of how a 1/2 GB of billed cellular data has been used ...

What do you mean by 'see the usage details of how... ...cellular data has been used'? Are you suggesting mobile providers (or any ISP) actually monitor customers' online activity? I suspect there would be rather large privacy issues if that were the case.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

karabeth
Seriously? Of course I reset the counter on my iPhone when monitoring data usage and of course I always reset at the end/beginning of a billing period.

My question remains unanswered. As McGill's account manager of all corporate mobile devices I can see real time data, text and calling usage with real time billing details through a Telus portal for the 1500 corporate cellular subscribers that I manage at McGill University. So why can I view the same for my personal account with FIDO?

Because it's in FIDo's best interest to NOT provide subscribers real time details.

Hello again,

@karabeth wrote:
...My question remains unanswered. As McGill's account manager of all corporate mobile devices I can see real time data, text and calling usage with real time billing details through a Telus portal for the 1500 corporate cellular subscribers that I manage at McGill University. So why can I view the same for my personal account with FIDO?..

There's a difference between Corporate vs Personal accounts. Some providers offer both Business and Individual options. Fido does not offer any business or corporate accounts.

With Business or corporate accounts, employees (or users of corporate mobile devices) are informed of, and are aware that their usage is monitored by management (not the mobile provider). To do so, business accounts are afforded mobile device management (MDM; see here and here) services.

To my knowledge, no mobile provider offers MDM for personal or individual accounts.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @karabeth

We can't really comment on the way you monitor your usage as an account manager for for those corporate devices

But to answer your question, for your Fido billing it simply won't work the same way.

The best way to monitor your data is through our Fido app or Fido.ca My Account.

We also have a blog here that can help you better manage your data as well here.

FidoFaiza

Hi @karabeth,

Thanks for your feedback. 

We suggest that you count on the Fido app to verify your unbilled usage. Once your bill comes out, it will include information such as the date and amount of data used.

Thanks!