cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Privacy Breach

FiPerkins
I'm a contributor level 1

Did you know that Fido records and then uses an identity technology to identify your voice.

I was just informed in the middle of a sale conversation.

the sales person would then not connect me to a supervisor and does not see the privacy policy that has been breached!

Wow.  they record and identify your voice and do not tell you till half way into your conversation. then state it is not a problem cause I can opt out.

well thanks for telling me in the first place.

ending my account with you.

18 REPLIES 18

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @FiPerkins!

We take our customer's privacy very seriously and I totally get your concerns. Let me clarify a few things! Smiley 

Voice ID is a new service that keeps your account secure by using your unique voiceprint to authenticate you. We’ll enroll you by capturing your voice with our Voice ID system during the call and creating your voiceprint. The next time you call, we’ll identify you by your voice.

I do get how you can be concerned about privacy, however calls are already recorded anytime you call in. You already trust us to record your voice for quality assurance and for training. When we enroll you in Voice ID, we use the same audio that we use in our quality assurance program. If you enroll, we’ll use the recording to create a digital representation of your voice that works only with our system.

Keep in mind that we only store a digital representation of your voice. The recording is encrypted and only works with our system, so there’s no need to worry. With the steps we’ve taken, your voiceprint can’t access any other systems or be reversed engineered.

I hope that answers your question and addresses your concern, let me know if you have others! 

Stwan
I'm a participant level 3
"You already trust us to record your voice for quality assurance and for training. " Actually you assume we trust FIDO with privacy information, not true. The issue is that customers are opt'ed in without their knowledge, or asked PRIOR to opt-in. If it were also true why would a customer need to re-authenticate with their DOB, or address or postal. Nor can FIDO assure me it is truly deleted, is there a customer advocate that works with the public and can guarantee in writing subject to punitive measures if customer information is lost? Stupid, stupid questions especially is someone can do a reverse a lookup on the postal from the address. The DOB shouldn't be asked because no company needs it to conduct business with the person, why don't you ask for banking information instead or something that could be used to conduct business, like the type of plan the account has a series of challenge questions THAT DO NOT GET INTO PRIVACY of your customer. "Keep in mind that we only store a digital representation of your voice. The recording is encrypted and only works with our system, so there’s no need to worry. With the steps we’ve taken, your voiceprint can’t access any other systems or be reversed engineered." There is everything to worry about, digital records can be captured, modified and it is dubious that it cannot be accessed by any other system or reversed engineered. S

FiPerkins

I totally accept your attempt to assist in security. I do not yet beleive in this technology. 

I also do not like the way this information was shared. Fido should be open about data collection upfront and not in the middle of a sale.

After calling to upgrade a plan, half hour later, I am cancelling my new phone and looking else where.

This recording is not for quality control, it labels my voice and collects further data. This information was not openly shared and Fido has lost my trust.

Thanks for your feedback @FiPerkins

We're really sad to hear that you want to leave us over this, our intention is not to lose your trust . In the contrary, we use such a feature as we highly value the sercurity of your account. 

Voice biometrics has been proven to reduce the risk of fraud compared to other authentication methods such as PINs, passwords and security questions. Voice ID will help make your account and your personal information more secure than ever. 

Keep in mind that you can opt-out of this service at any time. 

FiPerkins

Ok, So, I think we have missed a point here

It is not so much the recording and your attempt to make things more secure... who would argue that!

My issue is I was informed of this new technology in the middle of a sale. Fido collected data and labelled it as Me when I have not consented.

Right from the start of the communication this data collection should be shared and the option to opt out given. Not after 5 minutes of conversation. 

How can you now garantee that my voice is not recorded and labled? 

Am I supposed trust you now just because you say sorry and it won't happen again?

What other information are you collecting from me?

Very dissapointed and continuing my seach for a trust worthy company.... if they still exist in todays world!

We do get your concern @FiPerkins however keep in mind that the recording used for VoiceID is the same recording that is recorded either way as all calls are recorded.

The recording is there either way, the agent then asks if you want to register for VoiceID which is why it was done midway through as there needs to be enough of a recording for it to work. There's no need to opt-in if you don't want to though!

Does that clear it up?

FiPerkins

No, Seriously, your reply does not clear this up.

This recording needs to be requested. You are breaching my privacy by doing this.... I don't see what you do not understand.

I consent to the making better quality calls, but not to having the recording labelled to me.  I also do not agree with how the consent for  the ID was requested.  It should be upfront information, you can ask me before the conversation for consent to label the recording.

During the incident, my consent was not requested.  I was informed about the new technology within the sales.  The rep then continued asking me further question about why I was calling.  I asked for clarification on the Voice ID and want he had just share.  He proceeded to state, as all responses here have, that it is for security purpose and then continued the sale.

I then asked to speak to a supervisor and after a hold, he returns and states I need to have a valid reason to talk with a supervisor!

So, Fido staff are informed a customers who beleive they have had their privacy breached is not a valid reason to pass the call to a supervisor!.

Fido is not making the consent clear, I was not given the oportunity to opt out until I raised issue.

You need to understand my complaint here.

Stwan

I believe the moderators will toe the FIDO line and only give you scripted answers. Social media outside of their controlled forums may get less of the 'chatbot' respone and a more responsible reply and ownership. Their collection extends to FIDO's weak security and trite and dismissive customer inquiries. There are better venues to voice your concerns on this and their collection of data before consent is an issue and you genuinely have no way to know that it a deleted or made non-identifiable.

Taking screenshots as moderators are deleting content.

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thanks for your feedback @FiPerkins, @Stwan,

I'll try to clarify how the Voice ID feature works and hopefully this will address most of your concerns.

As mentioned, this feature is an added security option that you can opt in at your convenience to secure your account. It is not mandatory, similar to how you can add a security PIN number to validate yourself if you wish to. You can find more info on our FAQ page.

Simply put, conversations are already recorded for quality purposes. All information provided during those calls, personal info, banking information and such are not gathered. That being said, during the conversation, the Voice ID tool will prompt the agent to confirm if you'd like to opt in or not (if this has not already been confirmed). We do NOT enroll you without your consent, and mentioning it later in the conversation is directly related to the tool's prompt. 

I.e : there is too much background noise and the Voice ID tool cannot have a clear voice print set up. No prompt will be provided and the agent will not mention it during the call.

Choosing to opt out, will disable the Voice ID authentification for your user going onward. Opting in, will create a voice print to authenticate you personally as a user. I'm using the word "user" here, as anyone else calling to access your account and pretending to be you will be denied when using the Voice ID. This tool helps us differentiate which authorized users on the account are calling as well. This is precisely how we can protect your account using your voice print.

About voice prints :

• It works even if you have a cold
  • Uses your unique vocal tract to identify you
  • Only works on our end, as you would need to reach our call center for it to kick in

If by any chance you've enrolled in it, and feel that you're uncomfortable with having your voice print with us, we do have a process in place to delete it. We do take our privacy policy very seriously and we remain available to answer any question/concern you may have.

All in all, Voice ID is simply an alternative if you do not wish to use your DOB or other personal information as well as a reliable identification feature. Using an account PIN would also be another way to go about it, and we'd be happy to go over your account's security settings together if you'd like.

Hope this clarifies, and let us know if you have any questions.

Stwan

I differ in my opinion, that even when using a PIN, customes still get asked questions.

So no I don't believe you are correct, you should try dialing in yourself to find out.

"Using an account PIN would also be another way to go about it, and we'd be happy to go over your account's security settings together if you'd like." 

This is incorrect statement, however, I am more inclined to ask the Privacy Commisioner to make an inquiry, who at your office should they contact?

FidoJulien
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Stwan

I'm sorry if you were sometimes asked other information after giving your PIN.  The PIN should replace these other questions.  If you're not comfortable providing your information on the phone, we offer a live chat service on fido.ca.  Also, many transactions can be done using our self-serve options on our website.

Hey @FiPerkins

The call is already recorded for quality purposes as mentioned here by Nick. Our voice ID system needs a bit of time to see if the recording can be used to offer you the feature. 

If you choose not to have it on your account, your voice print is not kept on file and we note that you wish to opt out so that only the recording is kept for being used solely for quality purposes. 

We do not ask for your consent beforehand because no additional recording of your information is done prior to offering the voice ID. 

You definitely should have been able to speak to a supervisor if you wanted to and that's something we will be glad to address on your behalf. 

FiPerkins

And you reply with the same as eceryone else has stated.

you have not addressed the issue at all.

I'm sorry if I was unclear in any way. From what I understood your concern was that the recording was labeled to your name.   

That being said, this is only done when we inform you that you are eligible for Voice ID. If you refuse it the information is not kept. 

FiPerkins

Try Again

I am not sure who has gone and liked all the mod responses... no-one has understood the issue here.

Stwan

I know dodgy scripted answers.

Hey @Stwan

Thanks for posting Smiley 

We can understand your concern regarding this new feature. 

Just to clarify, we mention that the call is being recorded before reaching a representative on the phone. 

We use the same recording to ask if you would like to subscribe to Voice ID. At that point, it is up to you to accept or decline that ID method. if you decline, the recording stays in our system for quality and training purposes but your voice is not used to ID you on your next call. 

Also keep in mind that if you do not feel comfortable providing your date of birth, we have other questions we can ask to authenticate you. 

Let me know if that clarifies! 

Interesting topic here, I am confused as to when the breach occurred. I am being serious, not trying to fence sit. I am aware that all calls are recorded for training purposes and that is the case in almost every call I make to a company. I have not had anyone ask me if they can imprint my ID to my voice print. That is probably because I do all my requests or conversations over the community forum or the chat feature and fill out the security form that is required. Having said that, if it is indeed true that they ask your permission when they want to begin tagging you with your voice, then I don't have an issue with that as I can say yes or no. If they tag your voice with your ID without telling me, I may have a problem with that, as no permission is granted. I do however, think the technology is brilliant to stop someone from calling in from my device or elsewhere and trying to fraudulently buy or change things on my account.

I do see your issue, if you didn't give your permission and the recording wasn't stopped and removing your ID wasn't done. 

Hopefully you can understand the likes or no likes when it's not clear if your wishes weren't honoured. I do hope that wasn't the case here.