cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepaid plan credit bureau report?

And_B
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Was a Fido prepaid customer. More than a year ago I moved to Bell, and now I received a notification from credit karma that a report from Fido was added with a date more than a year ago. The report contains a single date for opening and closing an account around 1.5 years ago. So why does Fido send a report a year later to the credit bureau on a prepaid plan?

1 REPLY 1

FidoPierre
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @And_B

Welcome to the Community. 

Prepaid accounts don't usually have any impact on your credit score. When you first activate a monthly postpaid account, a credit evaluation is completed with two pieces of Canadian, it is with this same ID information that we report to the credit bureaus for the payment history. 

After each billing cycle, the following is reported for a monthly postpaid account:

• Activation, cancellation and last delinquency dates
  • Agency assignment
  • Cancellation reason (voluntary or involuntary, fraud, activated in error, buyer’s remorse, Bankruptcy and Credit Counselling)
  • Current and delinquent balance
  • Delinquency rating 
  • Identification (name, address, SIN, date of birth, home phone number)
  • Last payment (amount and date of payment)

None of this applies on a Prepaid line however as no credit evaluation is done at the activation and we do not collect or store your ID information for these accounts. In this case, we would have to take a closer look at your Fido profile to determine what kind of information was used to activate your account. We can check this out together if you reach out through any of the following options found on our Contact Us Page

We can also send you a PM from here if you would prefer. Let us know!