cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepaid Top-up Expiry

rjgyo
I'm a participant level 1

Hi, I just wanted to what would happen if I switched to a prepaid account and my balance expires and I don't top up for an extended amount of time. Would I lose my number and service?

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Rjgyo,

Welcome to the community!

The $10, $20 and $30 vouchers provide access to the network for up to 30 days from date added to the account; $50 vouchers for up to 60 days; $100 vouchers for up to 365 days (taken from here). If you don’t refill your account before the balance expiry date, any remaining balance in your account will expire and be lost. You’ll no longer be able to use your phone except for emergency 911 calls. However, you can restore your expired balance if you refill within 7 days of the expiry date.

If your prepaid mobile account balance remains at $0 for 6 consecutive months or if required payments toward your account are not made or are returned, for any reason, your prepaid mobile identifier (e.g., phone number or PIN number) will be deactivated (see Terms & Conditions). 

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoMegan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @rjgyo !

I just wanted to clarify some of the information @Cawtau mentionned. Your account won't be cancelled after 6 months but after 1 year from the last refill. Here are the steps: 

You have a grace period up to 7 days of inactivity. 

- Your number remains active, but you're unable to use your service

- You can refill your account anytime during these 7 days to retrieve the expired balance with a refill

After the 7 day grace period, day 8 - 275 of inactivity:

- Your number remains active but you're unable to use your service

- You can refill your account anytime

If after 275 days you still haven’t refilled the account, it will expire (day 276 - 365 of inactivity):

- Your number remains assigned to your account but you will need to contact Customer Service to reactivate your account

If after 365 days you don’t refill, the line is cancelled.  

- Your account can only be reactivated if the number is still available

- If the number is no longer available, you will need to purchase a new SIM card and activate a new account with a new number

Hope that helps! Very_Happy 

just_another_no

Has there been any changes to this expiry business??

I've been hearing from some stores that the bigger denomination prepaid top-ups are not being sold. That everything is going to a monthly expiry. 

Please confirm as in the past i've been paying for some elderly who only want use of a cell phone for emergencies. This change is only going after these type of users. I have heard of some many elderly losing money on their phones. 

Please clarify thanks.

Hey @just_another_no

Welcome to the community Smiley

Those rules still apply and no changes has been made recently. You can also find the new link for more info on how to refill your Prepaid service here.

Simply keep in mind that once you hit your expiry date, you'll have a 7 day grace period to refill. Any balance left on the account after this period will expire. In other words, if you scarcely use your Prepaid service and sometimes leave it inactive for a period of time, make sure not to add too many funds, just the necessary.

Hope this clarifies.