cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number could not be ported to Fido.

kleo
I'm a participant level 2

Hello Fido Community,

I added a new Fido account and wanted to port my wife's phone number to it yesterday.
She has had this number for over 15 years. It was always a mobile phone number. It belonged to a Rogers consumer account in the beginning and was moved to a business account later on.

Unfortunately, after Fido customer service representatives tried to port this number, I was told that this number is unportable for unknown reasons - potentially, because Fido does not have that pool of numbers available. Rogers customer service representative and senior support was even contacted to escalate this situation, but we could not resolve the issue. As the result of this, I had to cancel the account. I am wondering if there is anything that can be done to resolve this problem?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Kleo,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having issues porting your wife's phone number over to Fido. This page lists some possible reasons why the port did not go through. I understand that page refers to the US, however, I imagine the issues might be similar. Of note, have you verified the information used in the port request matches the information Rogers has on file? Information mismatch seems to be emphasised.

Also, it mentions that only the primary account holder is authorised to make the request. Was it yourself or your wife who was the primary account holder for her phone number with Rogers?

In addition, is it possible the issue stems from trying to port from her account to your account? Perhaps she could create her own account with Fido, port the number over, and then amalgamate the two accounts at a later date?

Unfortunately, there are situations in which porting is not possible (see here). Again, I understand that page refers to the US.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

kleo

Hello @Cawtau 

Thanks for you reply!

I will follow your recomindations.

I hope that will help Smiley

NaliniR
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @kleo,

Welcome to the Fido community!

It doesn't matter if the number is not within Fido's pool of numbers it can be ported if Fido was unable to port it they should have investigated it more and you should have contacted Rogers to see if there were any blocks on the account.

Because you cancel the Rogers account there is nothing that can be done, you can try to contact Rogers and see if they can reactivate the account and retrieve the number. Carriers usually hold the numbers for a certain amount of days before releasing it back to the original provider for public use.

If Rogers is able to reactivate the account and retrieve the number you can ty the port again and if it fails providing you have the correct information have the issue escalated.

kleo

Hi @NaliniR ,

Thanks for your reply.
I have not cancelled Rogers account and it still works.
However, I had to cancel my Fido account since they were not able to transfer the number.
I will try to contact Fido customer service again to see what they can do with this issue.