Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay As You Go in UK

Mark62
I'm a participant level 2

Hi

I have a Fido pay as you go plan which expires in June 2019 with a healthy balance, I am on a 'By the minute - 40c anytime plan'. I am going to the UK shortly, will I be able to make/receive calls and texts whilst there?

Thanks in advance for any help, cheers.

5 REPLIES 5

Fredyo
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Ensure FIdo Roam is disabled on your account (you will have to ask a customer service rep to do that for you), disable data roaming then get a SIM chip over there. You will get FAR more bang for your Canadian dollar!

Hello Fredyo,

Welcome to the community!

I appreciate the fact that you're trying to help our fellow customers. However, Fido Roam is not available for Prepaid or Pay-as-You-Go plans. It is only available on Postpaid plans.

In addition, switching SIMs might not suit every traveller's needs. I have previously outlined some things to consider regarding using local SIMs, here. It really depends on how people wish to use their phones.

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Mark62,

Welcome to the community!

Provided your phone is compatible with the UK networks, you should be able to roam with a prepaid plan. You can verify your phone's compatibility here and here.

If your phone is compatible, the roaming rates for prepaid in Europe are: Call: $2.50/min; Text: $0.75/text; Data: Unavailable  **edit** You should note that sending/receiving MMS would not be possible since the data contained within the message would be considered roaming data**

UK roaming.jpg

Taken from here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Mark62

Thanks so much for the information, really appreciated. I have an Android smarphone so should be good to go, thanks again.

glussier
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

The cheapest way to use your phone in the UK, would be, for you, once you get there to get a local sim card.