Pay As You Go in UK

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2 Mark62
I'm a Participant Level 2

Pay As You Go in UK

Hi

I have a Fido pay as you go plan which expires in June 2019 with a healthy balance, I am on a 'By the minute - 40c anytime plan'. I am going to the UK shortly, will I be able to make/receive calls and texts whilst there?

Thanks in advance for any help, cheers.

Accepted Solution

Re: Pay As You Go in UK

Hello Mark62,

Welcome to the community!

Provided your phone is compatible with the UK networks, you should be able to roam with a prepaid plan. You can verify your phone's compatibility here and here.

If your phone is compatible, the roaming rates for prepaid in Europe are: Call: $2.50/min; Text: $0.75/text; Data: Unavailable  **edit** You should note that sending/receiving MMS would not be possible since the data contained within the message would be considered roaming data**

UK roaming.jpg

Taken from here.

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 6
MVP
MVP
Solution

Hello Mark62,

Provided your phone is compatible with the UK networks, you should be able to roam with a prepaid plan. You can verify your phone's compatibility here and here.

If your phone is compatible, the roaming rates for prepaid in Europe are: Call: $2.50/min; Text: $0.75/text; Data: Unavailable  **edit** You should note that sending/receiving MMS would not be possible since the data contained within the message would be considered roaming data**

UK roaming.jpg

Taken from here.

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 6
I'm a Participant Level 2 Mark62
I'm a Participant Level 2

Thanks so much for the information, really appreciated. I have an Android smarphone so should be good to go, thanks again.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 6
I'm a Contributor Level 2 glussier
I'm a Contributor Level 2

The cheapest way to use your phone in the UK, would be, for you, once you get there to get a local sim card. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 6
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Ensure FIdo Roam is disabled on your account (you will have to ask a customer service rep to do that for you), disable data roaming then get a SIM chip over there. You will get FAR more bang for your Canadian dollar!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 6
MVP
MVP

Hello Fredyo,

I appreciate the fact that you're trying to help our fellow customers. However, Fido Roam is not available for Prepaid or Pay-as-You-Go plans. It is only available on Postpaid plans.

In addition, switching SIMs might not suit every traveller's needs. I have previously outlined some things to consider regarding using local SIMs, here. It really depends on how people wish to use their phones.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 6