Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving short code text...

Othersky
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi,

Today I swichted my cell provider from Bell to Fido.

At the local Fido store, after inserting Fido Sim card, it recognized Fido network right away and all setting seems fine and works ok (even though I'm not always getting LTE (H+))...

After few mins later I noticed that I'm not getting short code text messages  (i.e. Bank alerts or whatsapp verification code) anymore as well as MMS message from other provider except Fido/Rogers. After few hours, I did a factory reboot and I tested again but still same problem. It seems like there are few ppl having same issue.

Can someone help me to solve this issue?

My phone is unlocked Xiaomi Note 5 Pro and there was no problem at all with Bell.

Thank you in advance

22 REPLIES 22

That's great @Badawy0118!

Let us know if you have any more questions. Smiley

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information.

@Othersky wrote:

2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz 
3G: WCDMA B1/B2/B5/B8
4G: FDD-LTE B1/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B20
TDD-LTE B38/B40

According to those specifications, that phone also has all of the bands/frequencies for 2G and '3G'. With regards to LTE, that phone has two compatible bands/frequencies. Fido/Rogers and Bell do use the same main bands/frequencies. However, Bell has been able to re-farm their already decommissioned CDMA bands/frequencies for additional LTE bandwidth. Rogers will have to wait until after the 2020 decommission date to re-farm their GSM bands/frequencies.

@Othersky wrote:...As you said, as 3G (H+) network is to be docommissioned by Dec 2020 which I didn't know at all.....

I should clarify. It is the GSM (2G) network which is to be decommissioned, not the UMTS or WCDMA ('3G') network. Following the GSM decommission, you should still be able to access HSPA and HSPA+.

Since the phone does have two compatible LTE bands/frequencies, it should be able to access that network. Have you verified that the phone is using the proper APN? Since it is LTE-capable, it should be using ltemobile.apn. You can verify the correct settings here.

I assume you have already verified that the phone's Network mode is set to 2G/3G/4G.

You might also consider enabling roaming data. Some phones from abroad think they are roaming even though they are using a local SIM. However, I understand your phone was able to access 4G on Bell so enabling roaming data might not help, but it's worth trying out.

It is still possible that your location relative to the cellular towers could be a factor. Are you unable to access LTE everywhere? While the phone does have two compatible bands/frequencies, it does lack band(s) 12 and/or 17 (700MHz). The lower frequency would be better able to travel farther and penetrate deeper into buildings than the other LTE frequencies (see graphic here). Your location could be just out of reach of the other LTE bands from the Fido/Rogers towers.

Unfortunately, I do not know why you are not able to receive SMS from short codes. Hopefully customer service will be able to provide a solution in that regard.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers