Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needing help with compatibility and Fido bands

eliesk1
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Hello everyone!

Could you please help me out. My parents would like to ship me a device from overseas that's only compatible with the following Network standard:
LTE FDD: B1 / B2 / B3 / B4 / B5 / B7 / B8 / B20 / B19
LTE TDD: B38 / B40 / B41 (2555-2655 MHz)
UMTS: B1 / B2 / B4 / B5 / B6 / B8 / B19
GSM: B2 / B3 / B8 / B5

The actual device is an Unlocked Huawei Mobile WiFi Pro 2 E5885

Would that be compatible with my current data only SIM card with Fido?
With those bands, if it's in fact compatible, would it take advantage of LTE/4G or will it drop to 3G or 2G?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Eliesk1,

@eliesk1 wrote:..Network standard:

LTE FDD: B1 / B2 / B3 / B4 / B5 / B7 / B8 / B20 / B19
LTE TDD: B38 / B40 / B41 (2555-2655 MHz)
UMTS: B1 / B2 / B4 / B5 / B6 / B8 / B19
GSM: B2 / B3 / B8 / B5

The actual device is an Unlocked Huawei Mobile WiFi Pro 2 E5885

According to those specifications, that device should have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G and '3G'. With regards to LTE, that device would only have two compatible bands/frequencies. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. You should note that Rogers does intend on decommissioning its GSM network at the end of this year (see here). That said, data via 2G might not be very useful anyways.

While the device should be able to connect to the LTE networks, you should note that coverage depends on corresponding bands/frequencies available at your surrounding cellular towers. You can get an idea of your area towers here. In addition, you should also note that the different frequencies vary in their characteristics. For example, the lower frequencies (ie 700MHz or Band 12) are better able to travel farther and penetrate deeper than higher frequencies (ie 2600MHz or Band 7) (see graphic here). Since that device is not compatible with band 12, it could affect the usability of that device at some locations.

Generally, if the device is within coverage of bands 4 or 7, it should be able to access the LTE networks. Outside of that coverage, the device may switch to the '3G' networks.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers