cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a Fido plan made specifically for Airline employees

Gilou
I'm a contributor level 1

I work for an airline in Canada.  I own a Smartphone with a data plan.  I spend the whole year traveling overseas, mostly in Europe, Latin America, the US but also elsewhere.  There are several thousand flight crews are in my situation.  In our type of work,  our employers do not  pay for our phone plans.  We pay out of our pockets and they are not deductible.  Because of the very high prices we pay for data outside of Canada ($30 a Megabyte in Europe for example), we all set our phones to data off when roaming. If we don't we can easily be rewarded with a bill of several hundred dollars on every trip.

Fido has all sorts of International roaming plans, but they are geared to either the business person, or the person going on vacation.  They have a 24 hour pass, and a weekly pass. Plus you have to pay separately for voice, data and text message.  If I was to get all of them, I would need to pay $15 for international voice (this does not include any minutes, it just gives me access to cheaper voice rates while overseas), then I would have to pay $225 every week to get access to a reasonable rate of $3 a Meg (75 Megs are included every week), but that would still not include text messages (which we normally pay $0.75 a message), for which we need to pay a monthly fee of $50, which gives us access to $0.20 message (250 messages are included).

This in addition to what we pay for our monthly phone and data plans.  No of us can afford these outrageous "plans", so what do we do, we abstain from using our date when we are overseas.  But when we are forced to, because a relative is sick, or a personal emergency, we use them anyway and get shafted.

Why can't Fido come up with a fair and decent plan for airline employees only, one that would allow us to travel year round, all over the world, with our data on.  I would like to see a plan that would include worldwide and permanent rates of $3 a Meg for data, $0.20 a text message, and reduced voice rates.  If I had that, I would still be careful on how I used my data, but at least I would use it.

Think about it Fido!  You come up with such a plan for airline employees only and not only will I sign up, but I guarantee you thousands of new happy customers! 

***Edited to add labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Amanda1
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

Hey everyone!

I just came across this and I thought I'd provide an update in case anyone else comes across this. Smiley

We now offer many new and more advantageous roaming options for voice, text, and data use while travelling in the US or internationally. You can chech them out here: 

http://www.fido.ca/web/content/coverageroaming/roaming_intl_talktextdatatravelpack

Hope this helps!

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

The life on an Airline employee is much different than the majority of Fido customers so they do not publically offer a monthly plan tailored to employees like yourself because they are not requested on a normal basis. I recommend calling Customer Service and seeing how Fido can accomodate your unique needs. Your market segment is not being catered for I agree, Fido can really capitalize on airline employees. However, if they start offering a unique plan, everyone would want it, and Fido would lose revenues. Still, I recommend calling Fido and explaining your case.

Gilou

i did, weeks ago, but to no avail.  I would need to buy a voice, a text message and a data plan for the United  States, Latin America and Europe (9 add ons to my plan) which would cost hundreds.....