Need 2FA overseas without roaming

SOLVED
DitchingCorpora
I'm a Participant Level 1

I am getting conflicting info when I search,   But here is what I am trying to do for living overseas. 

Have a current long time Fido number that is used by my banks, taxes etc etc that uses 2FA which I hate but can't avoid.   

I will keep my existing iPhone, use a local SE Asia SIM card.    I need to receive two factor authentication so I don't get blocked from banking etc.    How can this be done?   I don't want to keep the SIM card in my phone as I will have a local Asian SIM card , but do have a second iPhone I can use for this if needed.   

Is there a solution? Ie: receive sms (short code I believe ) and calls on wifi/data on a Asian SIM card?   

Accepted Solution

Re: Need 2FA overseas without roaming

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello DitchingCorpora,

Welcome to the community!

What type of plan do you have -- pre-paid or post-paid? When you went abroad, did you request a temporary suspension on the line? Fido does offer a temporary suspension for a reduced fee on eligible lines. However, you would not be able to use any services with a suspended line. If you wished to receive SMS with your Fido SIM, your line would need to be active.

When roaming, incoming SMS does not incur roaming charges (Fido Roam, if post-paid and did not opt-out). However, any data within a MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and would incur roaming charges. If the 2FA you receive are strictly SMS, you should be able to receive them without incurring roaming charges. You should note that MMS are not limited to picture and video messages. Text messages with subject headers are also sent as MMS.

You should also note that with your Fido SIM connected to a foreign network, any data usage (intentional or background) would be considered roaming and charged accordingly. You would need to ensure the settings in your phone are not using data without your knowledge (ie system or app updates etc).

Unless you wish to switch SIMs every time you're expecting a 2FA, you would need to used your second iPhone to have both SIMs available.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

View solution in context
2 REPLIES 2
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello DitchingCorpora,

Welcome to the community!

What type of plan do you have -- pre-paid or post-paid? When you went abroad, did you request a temporary suspension on the line? Fido does offer a temporary suspension for a reduced fee on eligible lines. However, you would not be able to use any services with a suspended line. If you wished to receive SMS with your Fido SIM, your line would need to be active.

When roaming, incoming SMS does not incur roaming charges (Fido Roam, if post-paid and did not opt-out). However, any data within a MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and would incur roaming charges. If the 2FA you receive are strictly SMS, you should be able to receive them without incurring roaming charges. You should note that MMS are not limited to picture and video messages. Text messages with subject headers are also sent as MMS.

You should also note that with your Fido SIM connected to a foreign network, any data usage (intentional or background) would be considered roaming and charged accordingly. You would need to ensure the settings in your phone are not using data without your knowledge (ie system or app updates etc).

Unless you wish to switch SIMs every time you're expecting a 2FA, you would need to used your second iPhone to have both SIMs available.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

FidoValerie

Hey @DitchingCorpora Very_Happy

By using a SIM card from Asia, your phone number as well as the network you're using would change.
Therefore, the text messages wouldn't be coming to your Fido line. 

It would be important to ask the provider of the SIM card you wish to purchase, so you can make sure that you'll be able to receive the text messages with the service they offer! 

If so, you'd then need to update the phone number through your bank as well.

Hope this helps. Smiley