Roshc5
I'm a participant level 2

Please help.samsung said it's your providers mms size issue

9 REPLIES 9

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@Roshc5 MMS will be a thing of the past the new messaging protocol will be RCS (Rich Communication Services). 

Fido is already supporting it see here. All that is needed is the Android Messenger and the carrier also needs to support the feature. Alot of cellphone manufacture will start shipping phone with the Android Messenger pre-installed but Samsung is working to build the RCS into its own messaging app.

The Samsung Galxy S8 should have the RCS pre-installed already see here.

You can get some info on the state of RCS messaging in Canada here, for more in depth info about RCS see here.

You can encourage your friends and family to install the Android Messenger and as long as the carrier supports the RCS protocol you can send high quality pictures and videos. If they do not have RCS the message will just default as a regular SMS or MMS.

I've tested sending a 27mb video clip and it works great I can send and receive in the same quality and file size.

Alternatively if everyone does not have access to the RCS as yet you can use WhatsApp to send your videos.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Roshc5,

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, MMS is not the best option for high quality video. The maximum size of messages (along with their attachments) sent via MMS currently is 300Kb each. While the MMS standard does not specify a maximum size for a message, 300Kb is the current recommended size used by most networks (see full details here and here).

**edit** There is also a more recent standard (MMS 1.3) which allows upto 600Kb, but not all devices or networks are capable of the newer standard**

**edit** If a device sends an image or video to a device with a lower file size limit, the file is reduced to the limit of the receiving device. Many devices are capable of sending messages that exceed inter-carrier file size limits. However, a message that exceeds the other carriers' limits is rejected and doesn't reach the intended recipient**

If you still intend to use MMS to send video, you might consider reducing the size and resolution of the video you are taking. A smaller video with lower resolution would require less compression to fit into the 300Kb limit.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Roshc5
I usually send it through text messages or mms can you guide me through on how to change the mms capacity to the higher one? Or how to reduce it

Hello again,

I can't seem to find the MMS size limit setting on my device (S5) anymore. Perhaps it was removed from android??

That said, the size limit is set by the mobile provider. Changing your device's MMS capacity to one higher than the limit set by Fido will not help. The image or video will only be compressed to fit within the limit.

I was referring to reducing the size or resolution of your video. That would have to be done at the time you are making the video. In your video settings, there should be options to reduce the size as well as reduce the resolution of video. Also, shorter videos would also be of help. If the videos are already made, some editing apps have the ability to alter the size and resolution.

Have you considered other methods of sending video? Email also has limits on the size of files being sent, but those limits are usually larger than that for MMS. Additionally, there are many other messaging apps and free cloud services which would have more lax file size limits.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Roshc5
How do I get the mms 1.3 which has the 600 in limit

Hello again,

You should note that, unlike MMS, the data within a RCS message will count against your data allotment (see here). As such, you will also be required to have data with your plan in order to utilise the enhanced features.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

nahuhh

Wanted to update this thread instead of starting a new one..

Tested using Textra.

Settings:

System mode of mms transfer

Mms limit: 2000kb

With mms limit at 2000kb, photos up to 1000kb and videos up to 1800kb send without being scaled down. If you try to send a photo that is 1100kb it will be converted on the server. The same can be said for videos over 1800kb

Conclusion

Photos - 1000kb

Videos - 1800kb

DarrenEntwistle
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

@nahuhh wrote:

Wanted to update this thread instead of starting a new one..

Tested using Textra.

Settings:

System mode of mms transfer

Mms limit: 2000kb

With mms limit at 2000kb, photos up to 1000kb and videos up to 1800kb send without being scaled down. If you try to send a photo that is 1100kb it will be converted on the server. The same can be said for videos over 1800kb

Conclusion

Photos - 1000kb

Videos - 1800kb

Anyone able to provide an update or any new insight on this? I'm currently using Textra as well with my MMS limit set to 2000kb (2mb) as well as user nahuhh; however, my mms is still extremely slow and often times my picture and video messages just end up failing after attempting to send for several minutes.

"The top three (Bell, Rogers, and Telus account for approx 90.7% of service providers to Canadians)"

Hello again,

@Roshc5 wrote:
How do I get the mms 1.3 which has the 600 in limit

Your device might already be capable of MMS1.3. However, the MMS limit is set by the mobile provider, 300Kb. As explained in the other post, if your device's limit is greater than that of the provider, it will compress to fit.

**edit** Could a moderator please verify the MMS size limit? I just checked a couple of images that I previously received via MMS and some of them were in the 300-450Kb range. That's above the current stated size limit...**

Cheers