Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS and SMS use 2g,3g, 4g or LTE data?

Bhupi
I'm helpful level 3
I'm helpful level 3

Hello Fido,

I have BB z10 without data plan but I have unlimited MMS and SMS, I know its use data but I would like to know is it using 2G or 3G or 4G or LTE data for MMS / SMs? so this way I can setup my Phone network settings, 

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Wufai
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

For mms and sms the phone will pick the best network to sent from. Say you have a lte sim card but no data plan. You set your phone not to recieve mobile data. When you send sms/mms it will go through the lte network. But you will not be charged the data being used.

@Wufai wrote:

For mms and sms the phone will pick the best network to sent from. Say you have a lte sim card but no data plan. You set your phone not to recieve mobile data. When you send sms/mms it will go through the lte network. But you will not be charged the data being used.

Hello,

To clarify, sending/receiving SMS does not require data settings to be enabled. However, sending/receiving MMS does require enabling data on your phone. That said, you do not need to have a data plan/pass. If you do have a data plan or pass, data within the MMS would not count against any data allotments -- it would simply count as one MMS. 

Note while travelling outside of Canada: the data within incoming and outgoing MMS is considered roaming data and is chargeable.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Bubbasnafu
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi there,

I have an Asus Zenfone2, and the second Sim card slot supports only as high as 2G.  My Fido card works fine in that slot - but to the earlier question, does Fido have/support MMS on 2G?  If so - could you please provide those APN settings?

Thanks,

David..

Hi Bubbasnafu, 

if you're using an unlocked device, it is important to configure your device settings. 

Here is the guide for Android, to provide instructions on as many devices and versions of the Android OS as possible starting from Android version 2.0.

• Tap on Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names;
  • Once on the APN screen, press the Options button on the device;
  • Tap on New APN
  • Enter a name into the APN Name field.
  • Please insert the following APN settings:

APN Settings:

• APN: Fido-core-appl1.apn
    • If you have a LTE device, use the following setting: LTEMOBILE.APN

MMS (Picture & Video Messaging Settings):

• Leave the following fields blank: Proxy, Port, User Name, Password, Server
  • Press the Options button on your device, tap on Save in order to save the APN settings.
  • Restart the phone and try browsing the Internet.

NOTE: The created APN will show up on the APNs screen. To activate the APN, tap on the radio button located in front of APN.

Feel free to take a look at this page in our Library on How to Configure your Unlocked phone. for more information.

I hope this information was useful Happy

tungstenT
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2
I also have ZenFone 2 with no data package from Fido but with unl mms. Slot 2 only have 2g capability and I cannot set apn for slot 2 on my ZenFone 2, the phone does not have that option. How can i receive my mms in 2g in slot 2 of my phone? Slot 1 works fine sin it support up to 4g.

@tungstenT wrote:
I also have ZenFone 2 with no data package from Fido but with unl mms. Slot 2 only have 2g capability and I cannot set apn for slot 2 on my ZenFone 2, the phone does not have that option. How can i receive my mms in 2g in slot 2 of my phone? Slot 1 works fine sin it support up to 4g.

Hello TungstenT,

Welcome to the community!

Which version of the ZenFone 2 do you have? One possible reason there are no APN settings for slot 2 is that the second slot only supports voice and basic text messaging, ie does not support data. This is at least true for the ZE551ML version (see here). I'm not sure if the other versions of that phone would differ in that regard. If you have that version of phone or the version you have operates in a similar manner, you'll unfortunately not be able to send/receive MMS using the second slot.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @tungstenT and thank you for using the Community.

In this link, you will find all the necessary information to set up your unlocked device.

From there, let us know if you still have issues with your MMS Smiley