cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is SIM account update reversible system..&?

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hello friends

A bit of a special setup project

My new phone (which came unlocked via Fido) as a nano SIM Fido

My older phone  (still lock with Fido) as a Micro SIM Fido "my goal is to keep it alive"

1- Can someone please confirm  that I can easily 'for sure switch back and forth, as much as my liking, my activated SIM in my account profile? 

It maybe a push but.. Will I be able to use wifi with none active SIM !?

2- Once my new phone SIM activated and used permanently; Will I still need to unlock my old phone to use with another SIm (not fido not rogers) and finally would this eliminate choice going back to my old Fido SIM?

Knowing this in advance will help. Hope it's clear!Tongue

Thanks for your support!

6 REPLIES 6

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Scooby-Doo,

Do you only have one line on your account? If you only have one line and your new phone is to replace your old phone on the same line, then your old SIM would be deactivated once you activate your new SIM. I do not believe it would be possible to switch active SIMs in your account profile. However, if your new SIM is one of the 3-in-1 types (ie capable of three sizes). You should be able to switch your new SIM between your phones -- providing you keep the extra pieces.

Additionally, a phone does not usually require a SIM to connect to Wifi. That said, there seems to have been an instance recently in the forums which did (see here). I still find that strange since my brother-in-law uses that same phone as a Wifi-only device (no SIM). What phone did you want to connect without a SIM?

If you wish to use your old phone on another network, it would need to be unlocked. Once unlocked, you would still be able to use the device on Fido. However, as explained above, your old SIM would not work -- unless you have two lines on your account and your new SIM was on a separate line.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi Cawtau thanks.buddyCool

Yes I only have one line on my Fido I understand the old

SIM would be deactivated when the new one gets activated. But I m not sure if you can not switch back e.g. what happens if you don't keep the new phone right? It would likely be a way to reactivate the old one - hence if you can change input/activate your SIM online old or new shouldn't old or new work? SIM for SIM 

I don't have a 3-1 tray wonder if I could get it niw that you say but... if Only the nano SIM (the new) shall work forward its activation couldnt I use a nano in a  Micro SIM tray? (Should this product be unavailable could I  cut the middle of an old micro SIM to spec me a tray to put my new nano SIM in the old phone Smiley its an LG G3 btw! (Quad screen etc) Not sure if it goes wifi calling but has Radio IR etc.

If its not a puppy option then it's unlocking for the kitty eventually - I got other line elsewhere. 

I got the pixel 2 for new Smiley will try reservicing old LG is still a nice screen and can serve on many IOT projects.

Cheers!

Hello again,

I believe you are correct in being able to reactivate your old SIM (for the same line) if you don't keep a new phone (see here). However, I'm not sure if the online system makes the distinction to Add & Activate or if it only Updates. Additionally, I'm not sure if it knows to give the option to reactivate an old SIM should you later choose to do so.

The 3-in-1 I mentioned above is the SIM itself, not the phone's tray. Is the SIM you received a single sized SIM? I only see the Multi-SIM card available on the website (see here). If your SIM is only nano-sized, you could DIY a 'frame' using an old SIM card. However, they're harder to cut and fit precisely than one might think!

I think the LG G3 should be able to access Wifi without the need for a SIM. Enjoy your new Pixel 2!

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Thanks for the links and help CawtauAngel

It's unlikely I would reactivate the LG it's good news If I can use it Wifi ( maybe even tethered with unactivate SIM) but seems even if the website allows you to activate upgrade a SIM aside adding one and in  the event the website doesn't not auto-update back a SIM change there would be a work around with Fido assistance.

In my case the old one could only be fully back active that way, as opposed to getting a 3-1 tray to fit in the New phone nano SIM in the old one especially cause its stuck at andro 6 or 7 and probably couldn't  enable Oreo / generated Google additions. 

the 3-1 SIM wouldn't fit for me and pix 2 but  eSIM is an included option in addition to Fido service.

Many thanks!

Hey Scooby-Doo!

I just wanted to clarify that we do not currently support the use of eSIM cards on our network. 

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi AmandaN

Thanks but I dont think Fido has to do with eSIM its unlocked they might add service someday 

..cant stop a dog sniffing haha! in any event it dnbe an additional service but wait ...  wifi aware  can make mi chenels of us Wink

Cheers!