Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International billing charges

Sheryle18
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Hi,

i just want to ask re my international charges.

I went to Alaska and activated my roaming. I was charged $7 per day and still i was charged $91 for using 6.1mb while on roaming. Confusing as i was told when on roaming it would s just using your own  plan just have to pay for the $7 fee per day, which i was charged.

please enlighten me.

Thank you in advance.

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Sheryle18,

Welcome back from your trip! I'm sorry to hear of the awful surprise you received upon your return.

Did you use your phone both on land and on the cruise ship? As noted in your other thread, the Fido Roam charge of $7 per day was only for use while connected to land-based cellular towers. Any usage on the Maritime Wireless Service (MWS) would have been on a pay-per-use basis (see here).

The charge you note corresponds with usage on MWS: 6.1MB x $15 per MB = $91.5

If you didn't intend on using data on the cruise ship, is it possible your phone connected to “cellular at sea”, “Ship Roam”or “901-18” to use that data before you had a chance to disable data or enable Airplane mode or turn off your phone? I understand you might not have been actively using data, but phones these days automatically synchronise apps and services in the background.

If you would like to go over the charge with someone, you'll need to contact customer service as they will need access to your account. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they will also be able to access your account.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers