Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IC certification, Shiftphone

DAG
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi,
I'm thinking about to buy a Shiftphone (fair trade phone from Germany).
I got the information, that they don't have yet the IC certification for North America and so probably after a couple of weeks of usage the network provider will cut the connection and after I'm not able to use the phone in North America anymore.
Does anyone have experience with that and can give me some information?
Do I need to be worry about that and is that a right information?
Thank you for your help!

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello DAG,

Welcome to the community!

I can't say what happens with regards to the IC Certification. However, something else you might consider is whether the phones are compatible with the networks. As far as I can tell, these are the band/frequency specifications for those phones:

• Infrastruktur: 2G / 3G / 4G LTE
  • LTE Frequenzbänder: FDD-LTE B1 / B3 / B7 / B20 / B28, TDD-LTE B38 / B39 / B40 / B41
  • 3G Frequenzbänder: UMTS / HSPA+ / DC-HSDPA: B1 /  B2 / B3 / B5 / B8, CDMA (800, 1900, 2100Mhz), TD-SCDMA (1900, 2000Mhz)

~taken from here.

Judging by those specifications, those phones would not have any compatible 2G bands/frequencies as Canada no longer has any CDMA providers. On the other hand, those phones would have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for '3G'. With regards to LTE, those phones only have one compatible band/frequency, band 7 or 2600MHz. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here.

While the phones should work on the networks, coverage depends on the bands/frequencies available at your surrounding cellular towers as not all towers use all bands/frequencies. You can get an idea of yor surrounding cellular towers here.

There may be different versions of those phones with differing band/frequency compatibilities.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers