cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to downgrade my plan during Covid 19

Ronk
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I called Fido to ask about changing my plan from large to medium or small.

since I cannot work during the Covid 19 I am not using my device as much and can not afford it.

i was told I could but there would be a fee to downgrade 

this is the whole point of wanting to downgrade

i can't afford it.

i would like to think that Fido would be responsive to these types of problems customers are having

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Ronk,

Welcome to the community!

I think most people are understanding of the current economic situation. However, if you are currently on contract for a subsidised device, there is still an outstanding balance on your device. That's the downgrade fee. If you didn't owe a balance on your phone, there would be no fee to change plans. A large plan contains more subsidy towards a device than a medium plan which in turn contains more subsidy than a small plan. The downgrade fee would be the excess amount owed on your device which is not covered by the medium or small subsidies, respectively.

If you wished to switch to a plan without subsidy, it would likely be even cheaper monthly. However, you would have to pay the entire remaining balance on your device.

I understand the current situation has made things financially difficult for some people. However, they can't be expected to forgive what people owe on their phones. That's not financially feasible for them.

If you do not wish to pay the downgrade fees, you might be able to select a different plan within the same large subsidy category. Those options would likely have less services included (ie less data) than your current plan, but they would contain the same amount of subsidy towards paying off your phone.

If you are unable to make your payments, you might consider contacting their Credit options team to arrange a payment arrangement.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers