cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting charged for overseas call !!!

mum2l
I'm a participant level 2

I got charged with 80 dollars for calling Australia. 
But, when I purchased the phone plan from Fido, I ask whether calling Australia was free, the Sales said Yes and told me that there was a 1000mins limit in total. 

But, now I got charged as it was actually not included?! What should I do???

p.s.  If you looking at this, don't trust a bit what the Fido Sales says, look at the contract carefully youslef!

7 REPLIES 7

Amandeep11
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I also got charged for australia calling , I did not went to store to take sim. also I have 1000 international minutes ,so i did not know that It does not include Australia. My friends also got bill due to international excess calling,fido gave discount to them but in my case they also said the same it is not possible,why it is not possible.If a customer made mistake for the first time you have to notice it and give them some solution 

Hello Amandeep11,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you've incurred unexpected long-distance charges. To clarify, without any promotional calling offer (ie 1000 International minutes) or calling add-on, calling International numbers will incur long-distance charges. None of Fido's offerings include International long-distance calling. That said, I understand you have the 1000 International minute promotion with your plan.

I understand some posts in this forum list Australia as one of the included Countries for that promotion. However, you should note that the list has changed depending on when you received that promotion. As far as I am aware, you can view the new list here. Unfortunately, Australia is no longer included. You should have been provided that list when you received that promotional offer.

Could you please clarify what you meant by:

@Amandeep11 wrote:

... I did not went to store to take sim. ..

Are you referring to getting a local SIM card in Australia? If so, you should note that usage outside of Canada would be considered roaming and not included in that 1000 International minute promotion. Usage outside of Canada would incur Fido Roam charges. Are you referring to roaming charges?

I understand this is a difficult time and receiving such a bill even more distressing. If you're unable to make full payment on the bill, you might consider trying to arrange a payment schedule. To make an arrangement, you'll need to contact the credit operations department. It should also be mentioned that any arrangement would be at the discretion of the credit operations team.

You should note that the forums are community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. If you wished to discuss your situation, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

mum2l

As I was looking at the forum. There are many people who got charged for overseas calls without themselves noticing.  Apparently, most people can get a discount of some sort. I wonder why in my case the customer service said it is impossible. 
I also asked if I could add the add-on now on my bill now so to make it cheaper. He also said it's not possible.

Hello again,

@mum2l wrote:

... most people can get a discount of some sort. I wonder why in my case the customer service said it is impossible. ..

As mentioned in my previous reply, the 1000 International minutes was a promotional offer. While the offer proved to be very popular, the nature of promotions is that they are not available at all times. For example, it may have only been available during Black Friday promotions (Full disclosure: I don't know when the promotion was actually on offer). Similar to those other BF promotions, they are not available year-round. If that particular promotion is not currently on offer (or a particular plan is not eligible), it would not be possible to provide it.

Also as previously mentioned, it should be reiterated that many promotions are not availble indefinitely.

@mum2l wrote:

...I also asked if I could add the add-on now on my bill now so to make it cheaper. He also said it's not possible.

I understand it's frustrating to note that those charges could have been much less if you had a long-distance calling add-on. Unfortunately, if the calls are already on the system, it isn't possible to retroactively append an account with an add-on. In a similar vein, if you purchased an item at full price and that that item later went on sale (after any return or exchange or price match periods), it wouldn't be possible to refund the difference. Once your bill is generated, it would be akin to those calls being after its price match period.

**edit** Perhaps a better analogy would be if someone purchased fuel from a gas station last week but found out later that they could have purchased a fuel-discount card. Purchasing a discount card this week would not apply to the fuel purchased last week. It would only be applicable on future purchases.**

If you would like to add the Preferred International rate add-on for future calls, you would need to you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Mum2l,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you've incurred unexpected long-distance charges. When you got your plan, did it include the 1000 International minute promotion? While those minutes are only to certain Countries, Australia is one of those included destinations (see here). You should note that promotion might not be available with all plans.

When did you get your plan? You should note that promotions are not available indefinitely. They usually have an end-date associated with them. If an end-date was not provided when you got your plan, you would have been notified a couple of months prior in your bills. Is it possible the promotion on your line had ended?

In addition, since the 1000 International minute offer was a promotion, you should note that it may not be available to as an add-on. Fido does offer a 1500 minute add-on to select Countries, however, Australia does not appear to be included with that add-on (see here). If you regularly make calls to Australia, you might consider the Preferred International rate add-on.

I understand this is a difficult time and receiving such a bill even more distressing. If you're unable to make full payment on the bill, you might consider arranging a payment schedule. To make an arrangement, you'll need to contact the credit operations team. It should be mentioned that a payment arrangement might not be available in all situations.

I cannot speak as to what was discussed when you got your plan. However, calls to other Countries are not free. Some promotions or add-ons might include calling minutes to certain Countries, but they aren't technically free. If you would like to discuss your bill, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

mum2l

Hi there! 

Thanks for the reply. I have contacted the Customer Service and looked into my contract. 
It doesn't include Australia but includes Hong Kong, China, Bangladesh and the United Kingdom. 
The hotline told me they have no power to waive or make any discount. 
But, like I said, I wasn't told that Australia wasn't include my plan and I feel like being scammed. I would obviously purchase an add-on before calling Australia. 

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. From what you note, you appear to have the 1500 minute to certain Countries add-on. As mentioned in my previous reply, the promotional 1000 International minutes includes different Countries from the add-on. It's unfortunate that there was a misunderstanding in that regard.

I understand you thought that Australia was included in those minutes. Unfortunately, if the calls were made on the system, it wouldn't be possible to waive those calls. That said, I do understand your frustration as you did specifically ask about calls to Australia. You might consider returning to where you got the plan and speaking with the manager since the information provided to you may have been incorrect. If they are unable to provide you with assistance, you might wish to follow the steps to resolve a concern.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers