cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a data cap?

Nosreme646
I'm a participant level 3

It's great to have data, but going over and being charged isn't fun. Is there anyway to get Fido to turn off your data once you reach your limit, this way you won't go over your data limit when you are using it? I want to avoid any future charges that could happen if I do accidently go past my limit. 

*Edited to add labels*

10 REPLIES 10

alanaschultz
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

This message sounds like it is well intentioned, but actually there is no reason cellphone companies should be imposing data caps since data usage doesn't cost them extra money. Data caps are a way for cellphone companies an internet service providers to suck money out of customers for no justifiable reason. https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160603/06530234613/broadband-ceos-admit-usage-caps-are-nothing-m...

Hey everyone!

It's been a while so I wanted to post an update to this thread Smiley

On our end, we do provide many ways to stay on top of data usage! You can track your usage through the Fido app, on Fido.ca, or by calling *3337 from your Fido. On our newer plans, we also send text messages once 90% and 100% of data usage is reached. You can also add a data top-up to your plan at any time before reaching 100% of your usage, once 100% is reached, the plan's overage rate kicks in.

That said, on our end, we do not cap data usage as we do want our customers to have the freedom and flexibility to use their data whenever they need to. You do get blocked at $50 of overages though and the users that the account holder has authorized can consent to continue using data past that point.

Keep in mind that many newer phones do offer the option to block data and also to see what apps are using what amount of data. We suggest checking with the manufacturer for more info on that! 

I do hope this info helps out, these tips will definitely help you stay in control of your data usage Smiley 

dswd
I'm a participant level 2

Seriously disappointed that Fido will milk their customers like this.
I mistakenly purchased 2 3gb addons in error, and I won't get a refund on the second one because I used 2% of it.
Such garbage.

linda99
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2
Great question! I recently switched from android to my brother's old iPhone 5. It's been a data disaster ever since. Sad I don't understand why my data has jumped so vastly when my usage hasn't changed. I'm paying sometimes twice as much OR MORE what I used to pay when not doing anything different. There obviously are some settings within the phone in spite of my looking and adjusting. Unless it can be rectified I'm getting rid of it and going back to android.

Hi linda99,

Have you taken a look at our blog post on how to stay on top of your data? There may be a few tips on which settings to adjust in your iPhone.

Cheers! Very_Happy

queen-vee
The update has a 3 or 4hrs delay. It's not 12hrs

zyx
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

Which phone do you have? If it's an Android, it's built-in: Settings, Data Usage, Set cellular data limit.

Nosreme646

I'm using an iPhone 5, is there any hidden setting like that for iOS?

zyx
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

Not that I know of, but I have happily ditched my first (and only) iPhone (3GS) years ago, so things might have changed since then.

On that iPhone, I used to monitor my data use through the Fido app, and turn data on or off manually to make sure I didn't bust.

Hello,

One word of caution when only relying on Fido's My Account app. The usage information is not instantaneous. The information in the app is only updated periodically. With the previous version of the app, it could have taken up to 12 hours for the usage information to be updated in the app. I'm not sure if the new version updates more frequently or not. Nevertheless, it is still not an instantaneous reflection of usage.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers