Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido services in Alberta

srinivas406
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi All,

I took the SIM and plan in Toronto, now I'm moving to Albert. So, is there any service restrictions or any extra charges for any service. Specially is there any roaming kind of special charges. TIA

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Srinivas406,

Welcome to the community!

When moving to a different Province, there are a couple of things to consider. It generally concerns whether you plan to change your phone number to one from Alberta or whether you're intending on keeping your Toronto number?

The first consideration has to do with your plan and billing. As FidoSaira noted above, the taxes on services is based on the area code of your phone number. If you chose to keep your Toronto phone number, you would be paying Ontario taxes -- regardless of where you reside. In addition, certain plans may be Province specific. That is, if you choose to keep your phone number, you wouldn't be able to change your plan to an Alberta specific plan. In order to pay Alberta taxes and/or select an Albertan plan, you would need to change your phone number to an Alberta number. You should also note that if your current plan is not available in Alberta, you will likely have to also change plans if you choose to change your phone number.

Another consideration would be long-distance (LD) calling. If you have Canada-wide calling on your plan, using your Toronto phone number in Alberta would not be an issue for you as your plan would include Canadian LD. However, if your plan only has local or Provincial calling, LD charges may apply depending on the calling situation (even for receiving calls).

On the flip side, keeping your Toronto phone number while living in Alberta means that calls from Alberta would likely be considered LD, even though they might be in the same city as you. Also, you should note that some building enterphone buzz systems cannot dial LD phone numbers.

There are pros and cons to both keeping an old phone number and changing phone numbers. Either way, your service will generally stay the same at your new location (providing you're within cellular coverage). If you do choose to switch phone numbers you might be able to do so via My Account. However, if you are required to both switch plans as well as you phone number, you would need to contact customer service. Since the change would involve a change in local calling areas, there should be no charge to have them make the change for you (see here). Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

FidoSaira

Hey @srinivas406

Welcome aboard the Community!

If you have a nation-wide plan, there would be no restrictions. However, if you have a limited plan, it may affect your bill in terms of usage. It is also good to know that taxes are billed in accordance to the area code of the number.