cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido's Chinese Voice Department

shayne79
I'm a participant level 1

I keep receiveing calls from a local number, when i answer a recorded voice tells me "This is fido's chinese voice department." and then continues in what i imagine is chinese?

7 REPLIES 7

RC21

These calls are very annoying. Can anyone tell us what they are asking for as we don't speak Chinese? Can FIDO please work harder at stopping these calls?

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @shayne79,

Welcome to the community!

Those are spam calls, I get them also.

Currently there is no way to stop them but the carriers are working on a way to put a stop to these type of calls and number spoofing. 

You can read more about it here.

Skydiver069
I'm a participant level 3

I receive these Chinese Voice Department calls on a daily basis, and can almost predict which incoming #'s will be the spammers.

Hope the Telco's develop and implement a solution to put an end to this wardialing, as I have also had people call me and complain about my number appearing on their phone.  This would indicate that my number is also being used as a cover in these phishing attempts.

Skydiver069

Well, your generic answer to my concerns carries very little weight.  Like many others,.I simply don't have the time to log every one of these calls so I hang up.

We're sad to see you're experiencing these kinds of calls @Skydiver069

We're working with the CRTC and our industry partners on finding solutions for this. One of the major wins on our side for the fight against these fraudulent calls was the development and implementation of Universal Call Block (UBC). You can check out more details on this here

This however only impacts malformed numbers. If the callers are using Call Spoofing to change their outgoing call display numbers, these calls are not blocked by the UBC. In this case we would recommend manually blocking the numbers for those incoming calls in the meantime. 

Hey all,

We're aware of these ongoing calls, and we can assure you that these are not from us. We would also suggest reporting any spam call you receive to the Canadian anti-fraud center

Brad10

IF Fido or any other provider wanted to stop it they could but they don’t want to spend the money on it. They can just add a simple thing like someone makes a call to you a message comes up saying “ the Fido user has requested verification please press 5” and then the call goes through as long as we do random numbers or a few numbers it should stop most calls