Fido roam - charged on NETWORK CONNECTION

I'm a Participant Level 3 123anderson
I'm a Participant Level 3

Fido roam - charged on NETWORK CONNECTION

I am new to using Fido Roam - always have used the travel packs when necessary.  I went into the store and was told that only upon USE of my home plan (be it sending text, phone conversation, data, etc.) would incur the $12/day for the destination.  So I was very careful and kept both roaming data and mobile data off the entire trip.  I turned on my phone regularily to access off-line maps, use wifi and check to see if I had any incoming texts.

To my shock, when I got my last bill, I had incurred my roaming fee for every day of my trip!!  In a long conversation with Fido yesterday, apparently the fee is NOT triggered by use of your home plan but by simply connecting to the foreign cell network. So if you arrive in the airport and want to update the time on the phone, $12 charge immediately.  If you turn on your phone the next day for a photo, another $12. So you have to either turn Roam off or keep your phone in airplane mode the entire time so it doesn't register with any cell network.  

Fido reversed all charges when they could see that nothing other than connection to network occured (i.e. no data, phone conversations, outgoing texts had occured).  They reversed the charges very quickly so am guessing I am not the only one who has complained about this. 

Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience and has the specifics of what triggers a Roam daily charge been well explained to anyone?  Is this how others understand Roam to work and does this policy make any sense??

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido roam - charged on NETWORK CONNECTION

Hey @123anderson

Welcome to the Community Smiley 

This is definitely not how Fido Roam is billed. What triggers the charge is really just usage. That means data usage, outgoing text messages, outgoing calls and answered incoming calls. 

Turning on your phone would not trigger a charge. If data was turned off and that no other usage was made, you should not have been billed at all. 

We'd need to check out your account to confirm the details. It may have been a glitch that has been corrected but we can assure you that usage such as taking pictures or playing around with your phone with the data off would definitely not trigger the Fido Roam charge for the day. 

Hope that clarifies! 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 8
Former Moderator FidoPamela
Former Moderator
Solution

Hey @123anderson

This is definitely not how Fido Roam is billed. What triggers the charge is really just usage. That means data usage, outgoing text messages, outgoing calls and answered incoming calls. 

Turning on your phone would not trigger a charge. If data was turned off and that no other usage was made, you should not have been billed at all. 

We'd need to check out your account to confirm the details. It may have been a glitch that has been corrected but we can assure you that usage such as taking pictures or playing around with your phone with the data off would definitely not trigger the Fido Roam charge for the day. 

Hope that clarifies! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 8

That is not correct based on an exhaustive phone conversation with an agent a few days ago.  It was confirmed from her that everytime the phone registered on another network, the Fido Roam charge was incurred.  She confirmed and also talked to tech people in the background that just turning on the phone and having it register with the foreign network was the source of the charge.  My bill completely proves this out (as does a few other posts here).

If you think this is inaccurate, I would love to resolve...how do you suggest I proceed??

Thanks for the help.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 8
Former Moderator

I can assure you that connecting to a foreign network without using anything will not trigger any charges. 

I would be happy to take a look at your account and give you more info on what happened there. 

I'll send you a PM here for that in just a moment. 

Chat soon! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 8

Update to my original post...

Big thanks to the Fido Moderators who helped with this.  My conversation with the Fido rep on the phone was incorrect and roaming charges are NOT triggered on registration with foreign network.  An activity that uses your plan (income or outgoing phone call, outgoing text, data usage) is what triggers the $12 charge which is what I had been expecting.  

Thanks again for everyone who helped resolve and took ownership of the problem...appreciate the support.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 8

You're quite welcome @123anderson!

Let us know if you have any other questions and/or concerns.

We're always happy to lend support. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 8
I'm a Participant Level 1 freesoul
I'm a Participant Level 1

Probably this has already been answered elsewhere but still a bit confused about what what triggers Fido Roaming outside of Canada since there seems to be some conflicting information (inlcuding using Airplane mode).

As per my understanding, Fido Roam is activated for 24 hours in a supported foreign region if:

- an outgoing call is made 

- an incoming call is picked up or rejected

- an outgoing text message is sent

- data is used

I believe to avoid sending/receiving data, data roaming could be turned off or even the data itself. 

However, just connecting to the region's network or receiving text messages does not trigger Fido Roam (Trying to avoid using Airplane mode in case something urgent turns up).

Can someone from Fido please verify (I have an Android device)?

Also does Fido provide any way to check online or an indication like a text message that says the Fido Roam was activated for the day?

Thank you

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 8
Former Moderator

Hey @freesoul

I have moved your post here since it's in regards to the same matter. 

You are indeed correct as to the type of usage that would trigger Fido Roam. That being said rejecting a call without replying (using an automated reply for example) would not trigger any charges. 

You would receive a message when you first activate Fido Roam. We also send you a message to let you know of the rates when you leave the country. 

Hope that helps! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 8