cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido dollars no longer a thing?

Achan86
I'm a participant level 1

So, I haven't checked out my account in a long time. I need to get a new phone and a new plan, my plan is over 4 years old, and the 2 LG3 & 4 phones completely stopped working and are no longer under waranty.

I know I saw a place where you could see the balance on your profile. I  no longer see this. I'm pretty sure

I had accumulated something like $400-500 fidodollars, and was  hoping to put that towards a new phone. HELP? Confused

9 REPLIES 9

Tompasand

Why the accumulated Fido Dollars were not awarded to the customers? I too had such Dollars but completely forgot about it. I don't remember receiving any notification about stopping the Fido Dollars. It's okay if they stop it, however why did they not credit the Dollars to our account? It's our money.

Hello Tompasand,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you were not aware that the Fido Dollars program had ended. However, as mentioned previously, you should have been notified that the program was ending in 2016.

@Tompasand wrote:... why did they not credit the Dollars to our account?...

If you remember, the Fido Dollars were only applicable on the purchase of new devices or travel packs, etc. (see here and here). They were not available to pay monthly bills. Customers were able to use their accumulated Fido Dollars for their intended purpose prior to discontinuation. However, crediting customers accounts (ie towards paying monthly bills) was not a part of their designated use.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

peepsrocks
I'm a participant level 2

Well, I found out for the first-time today I lost my Fido Dollars.  I checked my records and there were no communications received to me at anytime by Fido.  

There are remedies, such as going to the CCTC and complaining.  Fido would have owed a due diligence to provide reminders in intervals throughout the duration of the notice they alleged to have provided customers.  If you fell out the Fido Dollars, there is the remedy to go to the CCTC.  If you also allege you never received a notice and the same argument, there are class-action potentials here.

Fido told me that "Fido dollars never expire"- that's a promise that can be relied upon, in my case.

Hello Peepsrocks,

I'm sorry to hear that you were not aware that the FidoRewards program ended.

Legally, they were duty bound to inform customers that the program ended. Fido made every reasonable effort to inform their affected customers. You should have received a notice similar to the one shown here. However, it was not their responsibility to remind customers to use their FidoDollars. The situation is similar to the discontinuation of Best Buy's Reward program. Best Buy informed their customers the program was due to end and provided the last date to redeem rewards. They did not send regular reminders to use their rewards before the prgram ended. I think you'll find the situation similar to many discontinued reward programs.

@peepsrocks wrote:...Fido told me that "Fido dollars never expire"- that's a promise that can be relied upon, in my case.

Unfortunately, I don't think that promise will hold legally. There's a difference between FidoDollars never expiring and the program ending. Unlike the Best Buy rewards, FidoDollars did not have an expiry date. So technically it's true that as long as the program was operational, FidoDollars would never expire. Your FidoDollars did not expire per se, the whole program simply does not exist anymore. It's a distinction of which you might not agree, but trying to Fido accountable for a never statement isn't likely to be successful.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

peepsrocks

Unfortunately, you can't expect everyone to rely on a singular moment in time 30 months in advance.  As with other jurisprudence, Fido owed a duty to remind customers continuously in a timeframe to ensure that the message was communicated continually until prior to the expiry of the program.

Whether it was in six month intervals, especially in the last six months before the expiration of the program, Fido did not provide due diligence to it's customers continuously.

I am reporting to the CRTC demonstrating this, as jurisprudence will support in favour of other situations that provided best case examples (e.g. President's Choice/Shoppers Optimum, etc.) who provided continuous communications with customers ensuring due diliegence was provided.  Fido/Rogers failed in this regard, and meets the very low threshold required.

I recently signed a new contract and since I was unable to use my Fido Dollars, I have refused, in lieu of payment of my Fido Dollars against the costs incurred to sign a new contract.  I can use jurisprudence, in any retaliation Fido provides, e.g. Collections, etc., that a debt is owed to me that was not communicated.  THe Office of the President failed to communicate with me, so I am escalating without delay. 

Please do not try sugar coating this publicly and understand the jurisprudence available.  Fido/Rogers failed.  They owe a higher threshold to customers.  In a way, it's a form of mispresentation.

Hello again,

@peepsrocks wrote:...I recently signed a new contract and since I was unable to use my Fido Dollars, I have refused, in lieu of payment of my Fido Dollars against the costs incurred to sign a new contract.  I can use jurisprudence, in any retaliation Fido provides, e.g. Collections, etc., that a debt is owed to me that was not communicated..

I assume, by that statement, you intend to withhold payment of some sort. I get that you feel righteous. However, I don't think withholding payment is the way to go. If it comes down to collections, you're only going to hurt your own credit rating. You don't really have any legal ground not to pay. It doesn't matter that you feel you are owed the FidoDollars. You willingly entered a new contract -- knowing full well that your FidoDollars are no longer available. This new contract is separate from any previous dealings (unless stipulated within the contract). You did not have to sign; but since you did, you are bound to pay as per the agreement -- in its entirety. Any issues which might have arisen prior to signing need to be dealt with separately. That is, if you are awarded the return of your FidoDollars, Fido would have to apply a credit for that amount to your account. You cannot simply withhold what you feel you are owed. Doing so, you violate the terms of your current contract.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @peepsrocks

We can understand how upsetting it can be to have the Fido Dollars discontinued. 

Keep in mind that we sent a message on the January / February invoice, letting you know that the program was being discontinued. 

Then, if you had an agreement as of 04/06/2016, you were able to keep your Fido Dollars and exchange them until 07/06/2018. 

We gave 2 years of wager in order for customers to use your Fido Dollars. 

That said, I am sending you a PM so we can look into that together and work towards a solution. 

Hey @peepsrocks! Thank you for your feedback. Smiley

I certainly understand your disapointment there. The Fido$ program was a good one.

In regards to the communication, we sent you message in your invoice relating to this matter in January/February 2016, as did all our clients. Did you review your invoices from that time?

If you wish to discuss it futher, I would be quite happy to send you a PM. Smiley

Let me know.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Achan86,

Unfortunately, the Fido Dollars program has ended. Fido started phasing out the program for prepaid customers in late 2015, if I remember correctly. You should have received communication in early 2016 that the program was ending in its entirety July 6, 2018 (see here).

It's probably not what you wanted to hear, but hope this helps Smiley

Cheers