cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido connection worse compared to Rogers

fiedospuppies
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

Fido overal reception seems quite a bit worse compared to Rogers. I understand Fido towers are separate from Rogers but I would not expect Fido reception quality drops 50% of Rogers in many places I go. I use 2 SIM cards, one is running Fido one on Rogers. That drains battery faster and probably impacts the speed as well. The area where I live, often I an getting a 4 reception on Rogers and 1-2 reception on Fido.  This is regardless of deveice because I already switched severla devices over time.

3 REPLIES 3

Confusedhere
I'm a contributor level 3
I'm a contributor level 3

Your experience isn't uncommon, but most people (probably) won't notice it. There's this thing called "network prioritization". Premium plan subscribers eg. Rogers have priority access over Fido customers. If you're in a congested (saturated) area than Fido gets the "lowest" priority. Don't let anyone gaslight and try to tell you otherwise. This has always been the case wtih provider flanker brands like Fido, Chatr, Phonebox, Koodo,  etc. and MVNOs. 

Hello Confusedhere,

@Confusedhere wrote:

...There's this thing called "network prioritization". ...

Firstly, I am not denying network priortisation exists. I am also not suggesting whether Rogers customers have priority access over Fido customers or not. However, I'm not sure network prioritisation explains the OP's observations.

Network prioritization is when an ISP assigns different levels of importance to different types of traffic using different techniques. ~taken from here.

Network prioritisation refers to network traffic. A higher prioritised level might have access to faster data speeds than lower levels. If the OP noted they had slower speeds on Fido with the same cellular signal, that might suggest network prioritisation.

However, the OP's observations refer to cellular signal strength, not data speeds (network traffic). I am not aware of any means a SIM card can selectively receive better (or worse) cellular signal from the same airwaves at a given location. As far as I am aware, the only way that might happen is connecting to different frequencies. To my knowledge, with the exception of 5G, Fido and Rogers share networks and bands/frequencies used.

No one is trying to deny the OP's observations or even convince them it isn't happening. We're just trying to provide a possible explanation for their observations.

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Fiedospuppies,

In which type of setting do you live and regularly visit? As far as I am aware, Fido and Rogers share their networks and customers from each provider would have access to the same networks. The exception , however, would be the 5G networks. Currently, Fido does not offer any 5G services. Is it possible the difference you note is a result of your devices connecting to 5G when using the Rogers SIM card? Depending on your area, connecting to that network could account for the observations you note.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers