Fido Roam - Warning

Fido Roam - Warning

Fido Roam - Warning

SOLVED
I'm a Participant Level 1

Fido Roam - Warning

Fido Roam is a deceiving.

I was recently out of the country for a month. I used my phone 7 times on 7 different days to check voicemail, or answer a 1 min call, or send 1 text message. Each of instances automatically activated Fido Roam, which triggered a $12 charge per day totalling $84! 

$12 to check my own voicemail once! It’s ridiculous. 

The website says says in order to activate Fido Roam you need to turn on data roaming... the whole time I was away data roaming was turned off. 

This Fido Roam shouldn’t be the default setting. You should have to opt in to this option. 

My previous out of country experience with Fido I was charged standard per min rates, $3 / min, I just assumed it would be the same this time.

Customer service has been poor, phone agents have had contradictory advice and understanding of how Fido Roam works. I’m switching to another carrier. 

Very disappointing. 

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido Roam - Warning

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello RJCC,

Welcome to the community!

@RJCC wrote:...

The website says says in order to activate Fido Roam you need to turn on data roaming... the whole time I was away data roaming was turned off. ..

It's unfortunate you misunderstood the term data roaming. However that is not a Fido issue. It is a fact of newer cellular phones. Older cellular phones used to have a roaming setting as well as a separate data roaming setting. Disabling roaming would prevent all roaming while disabling data roaming would only disable roaming data, but allow for voice and message roaming. However, that separate roaming setting was removed from Android a while back (I'm thinking circa Jelly bean or Kitkat...). I'm not sure if iOS ever had a separate roaming setting, but I'm pretty sure they currently only have a data roaming setting.

That means, newer phones automatically roam. With data roaming disabled, it is still possible to roam with voice and messaging. The only way to prevent voice and messaging roaming is to enable a phone's Flight or Airplane mode. That's for all newer phones, regardless mobile provider.

The statement to enable data roaming is to remind people it needs to be enabled to use data. Since phones now automatically roam, the use of talk and text is inherent because there is no other setting.

@RJCC wrote:...

My previous out of country experience with Fido I was charged standard per min rates, $3 / min, I just assumed it would be the same this time....

Fido was not trying to deceive anyone with Fido Roam. When your phone first connected to a foreign network, you should have received a SMS indicating your phone had connected outside of Canada with provided the daily rate for use.

Any use of your services -- using your device to make or receive a call, send a text message or use data while abroad -- will trigger the Fido Roam charge 

Receiving SMS does not trigger the Fido Roam charges. However, you should note that the data within a MMS would be considered roaming data and would trigger the daily charge.

In addition, rejecting an incoming call should no longer trigger the Fido Roam charge either (see here).

If you opt out of Fido Roam, you would then use your services on a pay-per-use basis (see here for rates).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

View solution in context
23 REPLIES 23

Hi @Cheebase

I am not too sure I understand what you mean? Are you inquiring about opting-out of Fido Roam? It's something that needs to be done from our end. Let me know and I will send you a PM, or you can always contact us here

I'm a Participant Level 3

I am not too sure I understand what you mean?

Oh, boy...

Are you inquiring about opting-out of Fido Roam?

Yes.

It's something that needs to be done from our end.

This needs to be changed. When I'm overseas I can't call you to turn it off. This MUST be available as a text command.

Let me know and I will send you a PM, or you can always contact us here

No need for secrecy. Make sure this change is done and report back here.

Thanks for your feedback @Cheebase

Alhough you can't turn it off while you're overseas, there's many ways to contact us and have the feature removed prior to your trip or during your trip, there's Wi-Fi everywhere nowadays. Plus, if you don't use it you won't get charged for it Wink .

Not so much about secrecy but we can't access your account without validating your identity which can only be done in private for security reasons.  

If you want us to opt you out of Fido roam please let us know so we can send you a PM!