cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Roam Charges when Roaming Data is OFF!

hk13456
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi guys,

I am another victim of these Fido Roam Charges while I was in Mexico from Jan 10 to Jan 18. I was conscious about turning off my Cellular Data as well as ensuring the Roaming Data is also off on my phone prior to boarding the flight to Mexico.

When I return and saw the Fido bill, I was surprised by these roaming charges. So I start googling and calling up Fido customer support.

From googling, I found out that this is a very common issue for iPhone users where there are still "leakage" of data usage when the phone has Cellular Data turned off.

The data usage was as follows (the 5M data usage on Jan 10 was prior to boarding the flight):

hk13456_0-1581472038093.png

And I was charged with the following:

hk13456_1-1581472134501.png

So I called customer support and tried to dispute these charges but end up unsuccessful.

My argument is as follows:
1. My Cellular Data as well as Roaming Data was switched off.
2. From the small data usage, it prove that I have no intention to use data at all during my trip and these are somehow glitches in the phone or system that I am not aware about.
3. I have not consented that I wish to use Fido Roam or activate Fido Roam
4. I was not informed that I have activated Fido Roam for each of the days I was charged

Below is their argument saying the charges are valid:
1. There was roaming data usage, it doesn't matter how much so I was charged for the full day
2. They have sent a text message explaining the charges and that Fido Roam was available if I were to use
3. I should have switch on airplane mode or pull out my sim card instead of just turning off cellular data and roaming data

The best they could do is to refund one day worth of charges ($12) and offer me extra data and free long distance call in the next cycle.

I just find this to be ridiculous how they can charge a full day for a 15kb usage (Jan 14th). Also by them sending you a text saying Fido Roam is available you automatically opted-in on the service and they can charge you the moment they detect any usage. They don't even tell you Fido Roam is activated for the full day.

After calling them and speaking to multiple reps with the same result, I now decided to switch to a different carrier and I will be filing a complaint to the Business Bureau and CRTC.

83 REPLIES 83

janovjak1
I'm a participant level 1

So, I did the 611 yesterday gave all the info, have received multiple overage charges (roaming) on two of the four phones on my account, did not approve and was on airplane mode.  After making it through phone prompts I was texted a link, had to fill in a bunch of information and was then on a chat, no help unfortunately.  How do I actually talk to someone? Help please and thank you

Hello Spozzolo,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you've incurred unexpected roaming charges. I understand you had attempted to disable your Fido SIM. However, if you use your device with a local eSIM, you would need to know how your device behaves when roaming. If your device is dual-SIM, you should note that functionality is not standardised. It may not operate the way you think it does. You should also note that disabling data and data roaming does not disable roaming for voice and messaging. If your device does not have a setting to entirely disable the Fido SIM, that could account for why your device was able to send the text messages.

In addition, you should also note that some phones might consider certain system data differently from user data and continue to allow the former usage despite data and roaming data settings disabled. For example, while disabling data and roaming data should prevent data usage on foreign networks, some mobile manufacturers (ie Apple) does seem to allow some data usage despite those settings disabled.

The Fido Roam charge incurs when your device uses Fido Services abroad. That is, the charge will incur when you make/receive calls, send text messages or your device uses data outside of Canada (see here). The mobile providers only know usage. If a device is using services when its settings are set not to use them, that's an issue with the device. The mobile providers have no access to a device's settings to know what settings are enabled/disabled. If you wish to utilise dual-SIMs, there is unfortunately no 100% guarantee your device won't use other services and trigger roaming charges. 

Generally using Wifi for regular internet access will not incur Fido Roam charges. There seems to be some misunderstanding regarding Wifi-calling. I'm not sure how people have gotten the impression that Wifi-calling does not use the networks. However, that is not true. While the calls and messages do not transmit via cellular towers, they still use the networks via the internet gateway (see image here). The cellular towers and Wifi are merely alternate means of accessing the networks. Calls and messages would not be able to complete or get sent/received without the networks. As such, using Wifi-calling is technically using Fido services. However, they have allowed certain usage to be free from additional charges. All the messages and calls you receive (from anywhere in the world) will be taken from your plan's voice minutes and messaging limits. As well, all Wifi-calling messages and calls you make to a Canadian phone number while abroad won't incur long-distance or roaming charges (see link above).

In order to prevent roaming charges, customers would need to ensure their devices do not use services. I understand some people would consider that blaming customers. Rather, customers need to be responsible for the devices they use.

I understand you only received one roaming notification. Generally, you would receive only one notification for the same roaming destination.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

hk13456

Hi Cawtau MVP,

Thank you for the lengthly technical reply again.  But you are not helping at all. 

You kept saying customer needs to understand how their device works and prevent using the unintentional services. But other than removing the sim entirely, you were not able to suggest anything else that will guarentee the roaming service to be disabled.

What you could do to help is suggest to Fido to change their roaming policy.  And I have made some good suggestions already on this thread. 

It's really sad how many fell victim to this as seen on this thead.  And unless Fido is willing to change, more will continue to fall into this trap. 

Thank you!

Rebecca23
I'm a participant level 2

I agree with you, totally unhelpfull answer.

Furthermore see below a totally misleading paragraph that I just found on Fido website,  Obviously not true as if you have your data and data roaming turned off, you can still be charged as I was. I had switched to Fido because the prices where very competitive, this last bill certainly puts me back few months. I will call before next trip to make sure that they remove what they call "soft roaming", and ask for a text confirming I will not get bill $15.00 a day but will only be charged per use, if I need too.  Having the phone on flight mode is not a solution as it means that you will not know if someone is trying to reach you in emergency.

• Most devices have an option to turn data roaming turned on or off. If data roaming is turned off, you won’t be able to use data services even if you have purchased a Travel Pack that includes data. If you want to use data while roaming, make sure that you turn data roaming ON. You can find this under devices settings.

Hello Rebecca23,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you might have incurred unexpected roaming charges. I'm also sorry to hear you didn't find my previous reply helpful. However, as mentioned, in order to prevent roaming charges, customers would need to ensure their devices do not use services.

That paragraph you note is under the assumption that those settings actually disable all data when roaming. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. If the manufacturers are allowing data usage with data and roaming data disabled, that is an issue with the device they designed. As also mentioned elsehere, the mobile providers only know usage, not what settings may or may not have been enabled on a particuar device.

I am also aware some people have referenced other providers not charging for such data usage. While they may have forgiven an initial instance of such roaming data, they appear to also be charging for data usage even with those settings disabled (see here, here, and here). The issue is not limited to Fido (or Rogers).

I'm sure there are others who will claim it's a Canadian mobile provider issue. However, the issue appears to also affect our neighbours South of the border (see here and here). Their plans and roaming features may be slightly different than on this side of the border, yet people also note data roaming charges despite data settings disabled.

The issue is some devices are letting the data usage despite data and roaming data settings disabled. As illustrated by this member on another forum, only some devices have this issue (see here). Unfortunately, no one is holding the manufacturers accountable.

As mentioned previously (and in the other forums and articles), in order to prevent unintended roaming charges, you might consider enabling Airplane or Flight mode. I do understand people want to be reachable in some circumstances. However, if you wish to keep your device available for emergencies, there is unfortunately no 100% guarantee your device won't use other services and trigger roaming charges.

If you did not wish to use Fido Roam, you would need to opt-out of that service. If you chose to do so, any usage would be on a pay-per-use basis. You can view those rates here.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hello again,

Sorry to hear you don't find the information provided helpful. You can certainly make suggestions to Fido. However, I am going to continue to provide information. Suggestions don't really help customers with their current situations.

@hk13456 wrote:

...You kept saying customer needs to understand how their device works and prevent using the unintentional services. But other than removing the sim entirely, you were not able to suggest anything else that will guarentee the roaming service to be disabled...

In other replies, I have noted that it is generally suggested to enable Airplane or Flight mode on devices in order to prevent them from connecting to foreign networks. When that setting works properly, it should also prevent roaming charges. Unfortunately, enabling Airplane mode on that poster's device would not have been an option as doing so would have also prevented the eSIM from connecting as well. Most dual-SIM devices on the market are dual-standby (device only has one set of antennae).

If you wish to keep your device available for emergencies, there is unfortunately no 100% guarantee your device won't use other services and trigger roaming charges. You are blaming the mobile providers for settings on your phone. The mobile providers can only know usage. If your phone connects to the networks and uses services when you do not intend, that is on your device. They cannot force your device to use services.

Cheers

kiwikid
I'm a participant level 3

So I'm curious in my situation with a sick mother in law in hospital or perhaps needing an emergency call from a business alarm company while travelling Fido feels I should not have that basic right to leave my phone on in standy connected to a local network,  but rather charge me 12$-16$ a day (with my phone in cell data/Roam off mode)  beacuse tiny location data kB to locate a cell network etc leak through?   Really?  Thats customer friendly?

hk13456

What you suggested is not helpful and I understand there isn't anything we can do to guarentee the services is disabled without either pulling out the sim or airplane mode like you suggested. 

You are also missing the point.  We don't really care why it happened.  What customer want is not get charged unexpectedly.   And changing the Fido Roam policy can fix this if Fido is willing to change. 

Say if customers are notified when Fido Roam is being charged on that day, they at least can call Fido to get it resolved and not be faced with a hefty bill at the end of the month.  Getting charged for ine day is much better than everyday of their trip. 

Also, Fido can consider charging first by usage until customer reach the daily cap then charged for the full day. This will prevent accidental usage and data leaks to be charged the full day amount.  I think this is fair to both Fido and customers.  Getting charged full day for ~100kb of unintentional usage really sucks. 

Also, we are not blaming Fido for how our phone works (I dunno where you got that assumption).  What I am suggesting is a change to the Fido Roam policy so that it is better for the customers since some of these "usage" is unpreventable. 

You are welcome to support my suggestion or not.  Please try to stay constructive and being helpful. 

Hello again,

@hk13456 wrote:

...  We don't really care why it happened.  What customer want is not get charged unexpectedly. ...

While you might not care, understanding why it happens is pertinent for others. Providing help isn't necessarily offering a solution you may appreciate. Offering material information is also being helpful.

**edit** You do have the option to opt-out of Fido Roam. In doing so, any usage would be on a pay-per-use basis. You can view the pay-per-use rates here. In order to opt-out of the feature, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above. **

Cheers

kiwikid

Yes and you still get screwed 12$/50MB per day of use on the first kB.  So how is that any diffrent to roam like home charges???? 

If I use 5MB one day am I only billed  $1.20?   50kB  the next thats 0.1cent?  i.e its prorated to use?

hk13456

Thank you.  Finally a useful suggestion to call and turn off Fido Roam.

I would also add that you can call Fido to turn off data completely if you do not intend to use Data aboard.   They are not able to just torn off roaming data unfortunately.

Both of these suggestion should help future trips if you do want to keep the sim active for emergencies. 

spozzolo

Additionally I received only one message to ever alert me  was roaming. 

gloriaP

8947C29D-1180-444B-99B6-DDB9B1B67CD1.jpeg

Looks like the SAME happened to me. Unfortunately being New Years Eve, I'll have to deal with this on Tuesday....looking forward to dealing with Fido and expecting BS from whichever rep I get. 

I'm expecting I'll have to write to the CCTS to resolve this as last time, that was the only way I got a free months service from referring my cousin to Fido (Fido kept giving me the runaround and denying me the credit referral).

Hello @gloriaP,

Thank you for the details! We definitely understand how surprising it can be to receive unwanted charges. 

We definitely believe in being transparent about our services as we know it can have a financial impact for our customers.

All postpaid customers are automatically enrolled to Fido Roam. This also allows them to have access to their services in case of any emergency in a different country. However, being enrolled does not mean customers are automatically charged. The fee is incurred only when a usage is made by the customer on their Fido sim. We also notify our customers via text message about the service and charges they will incur should a usage be made when they connect to a foreign network for the first time. It remains the customers responsibility to reach out to us if they wish to opt-out or take the necessary precautions to not use the service.

If you still require help with your account, you're welcome to reach out to us through these channels

gloriaP

Negative. It is Fido's responsibility to ensure fair billing. To charge a client when they have not used a service is unscrupulous!

Explain how people are being charged when roaming is turned off and airplane mode is on. 

Nish3

This happened with me as well. This is so ridiculous. I have every setting to avoid roaming. Cellular is off, Wifi-calling is off, airplane mode was on. How did I get charged for roaming when I didn't even use my data? 

I am definitely talking to Fido on Tuesday regarding this. If they give me any reason to prove they are right in this, I'm definitely changing my carrier. 

Hello @Nish3,

Thank you for the information.

Fido Roam charges/usage are validated by the Fido sim in a customer's phone. Having your phone on airplane mode would not allow you to connect to any network and incur Fido Roam charges though.

Did you enable airplane mode on after you arrived in a covered destination or before?

Have you taken a look at your PDF bill so see what you were billed for?

Lisa83

I'm glad I found this post! Same thing happened to me! They admit my data was turned off and that random texts came through and 2-3 outgoing (iMessages that sent as text sent over wifi) credited my account for 2 of the days but still want $45 plus tax! Was on the phone for almost 2 hours! Asked to speak to a manager to which I waited 1/2 an hour for the rep to come back and say manager said no to resolving the charges. Didn't even put me through! Said managers don't talk to customers, since when?? I will also be switching providers and following the link to have charges removed. What a load of **bleep**

Hey @Lisa83, welcome to the community, Alex here! 

Sorry to hear about your experience, this is certainly not how we want things to go and we most definitely would not want to see you leave for another provider. 

On our end, we will only charge you if there is usage made while roaming using your Fido SIM card. That is the only way we can track a communication to your device. Billed usage are calls (incoming and outgoing), sent texts (incoming are free), and mobile data.

To avoid any roaming charge, you can start by disabling data roaming on your device. Then put your phone on airplane mode to avoid calls and texts. Doing these 2 steps will disconnect your phone from any network connection, then simply activate Wi-Fi for data usage when available.

In the meantime, please reach out to us using these methods and we'll be happy to ewview the situation.

tjones99

@FidoAlex, the information you posted is incorrect. I had my phone in airplane mode. I had cellular data turned off. I received two days of roaming charges when making calls using WIFI calling. This is per the terms and conditions of wifi calling which are unfair and I have just opened a complaint with he Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS),  I should not incur roaming charges when not using cellular provider carrier services but thats is exactly what happens as per the terms and conditions of wifi calling.

Hi there @tjones99 and welcome to the Community.

If you still need assistance regarding our Wi-FI calling service and how usage is billed while abroad, please let us know and we'll be able to get in touch with you here in private.

In the meatnime, here's a nice FAQs we have on our website that might answer some of your questions:

https://www.fido.ca/support/mobility/wi-fi-calling

Hope that helps!