cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does everyone have RCS by now?

BrianJM
I'm a contributor level 2

I've installed Android Messages and I've enabled Enhanced Messages (RCS) as directed on my unlocked/BYOD devices but when I try to send a message, even to myself, it continues to show "SMS" under the send arrow, which as I understand it, means that it's not being sent by RCS.

Shouldn't everyone have RCS ability at this point given how long ago Fido started rolling this out?

29 REPLIES 29

BrianJM

@FidoThomaswrote:

You'll need to find someone to test it, and confirm that it is working correctly on your device. Let us know how it goes! 

Yeah, I was able to test it with a Rogers' user and I was pleased to see it went RCS. Pretty strange that a person messaging them self doesn't see it as an RCS message.

BrianJM

Even stranger... that same person I was able to use RCS with last night is back to showing as using SMS when I open Android Messages and open that contact this morning.

Interesting, I wouldn't be able to explain that. Maybe the user is no longer using the Android Message as the default messaging app? I'll try on my side to see if I can replicate this Smiley

Is anyone in the Community experiencing the same thing?

Brinthan
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

for me it's not working at all. I have only tried with rogers devices but i don't think that should be a problem? 

Hey @Brinthan!

The Community is here for you if you still need help with this! 

Keep us posted. Smiley

Hey @Brinthan

Welcome to the Community Smiley 

That definitely shouldn't be a problem. Just to confirm is the issue with sending has RCS or with activating the feature itself? 

Let me know! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

i have had RCS for what I would say is a year now, no problems, except only 2 people I know are using it at the moment from my contacts,  many more are "capable" of it but choose not to install it or unaware they could upgrade to it nor do they know how to

Anonymous
Not applicable

I too did not know who to test it with when it first came out and I was one of the first few to start using it.  I was able to find a few handful of people on here (fido forums) who were willing to test RCS functionality with myself on here and that is how I confirm it works for me.

After a good year of using it, only 1 other person on my phones contact book uses RCS and he is with Rogers.

Lots of my other friends are "capable" of using RCS but they do not see the benefit of this and are postponing to install the messenger application on their phone. When I asked them why, they said they don't need it because they use apps like Whats App, Skype, and Face Book Messenger.

I dunno about you guys but I want to stop using third party apps like Whats App and Skype and just stick to Android Messenger/Android Messages, but the fact that some people are not willing to become early adopters is making it more challenging for someone like me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

to answer your question

A) I have had RCS installed for quite some time now, several months, maybe even a year in my humble opinion.  I have a friend who is NOT on Fido, but he is Rogers Wireless, so essentially sister company, and the message is sent as an RCS message to him instead of a text message to him, even when the cellular network is turned off and my wifi is on the message still goes thru as RCS message, pretty neat eh?

I also know that some people are slow to migrate to RCS, one of them my friend at work, he has an android and all, and I've mentioned to him about RCS and Android Messenger, he was like yeah I'll do it later and never got around to it.