cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Fido care about losing customers?

WB1995
I'm a participant level 3

Hello. Long time fido customer that just ported one line to another provider. I received a text that there would a be a call from them to do a winback offer. One month later, no call. I now see people are getting 15GB data bonuses given to them for free. But, most customers get ignored. Not impressed with Fido. My contract is up in 7 or 8 months & it looks like they will be losing the only line I have left with them. My parents have been ignored by Fido as well. I'm planning to move their 2 lines away soon as well. Just disappointed with Fido.

8 REPLIES 8

Dzxx
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I am planning leave fido next month, they just give new users better plans. I am so disappointed.  I would like to bacome a "new cusmtomer" for another phone company. Lol 

Hey @Dzxx,

Welcome to the community!

We're sad that you are planning on leaving us. 

Though we do have great deals for new activations, we also have great deals on existing accounts!

You can always review your options with our customer care team.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello WB1995,

Welcome to the community!

I can understand being upset about not getting specific loyalty or winback offers. I don't think any business wants to lose customers. However, they do have to consider what they are able to offer in order to winback a customer. Public Mobile is considered a 2nd tier flanker brand, similar to Chatr and Lucky Mobile. Expecting a winback call from a 1st tier flanker (ie Fido, Koodo, Virgin Mobile) to compete with an offer from a 2nd tier flanker brand isn't reasonable. The different tiers have different service offerings. Public Mobile offers pre-paid only service, often with data at 3G speeds, and no customer service. That's why their offers can be cheaper than 1st tier flanker provider offers.

You should also note that many loyalty offers are specific to certain lines. The system would likely take many factors into consideration, including length of service and usage habits, in determining any offers. Even if you've been with Fido for a long time, your (or your parents') usage habits would be different than those receiving that specific bonus. Other customers might get different offers.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

WB1995

Expecting a winback call from a 1st tier flanker (ie Fido, Koodo, Virgin Mobile) to compete with an offer from a 2nd tier flanker brand isn't reasonable.

You clearly did not read my first post thouroughly. I said I received a text FROM Fido stating to please answer Fido's call when they try to contact me about coming back. I actually never expected a winback call/call back from them at all, UNTIL they reached out to me first. 

It's reponses like yours saying I was being unreasonable expecting a call back that really frustrate & insult customers like me (and I'm not alone). 

Cawtau, you need to re-think how you handle your responses.

And as far as Public Mobile being 2nd tier, that line now has full bars of signal as opposed to Fido's single bar of tower strength.

Hello again,

I apologise if my response insulted you. I did read your first post thoroughly. You likely received that initial text when your phone line was ported from Fido. However, that message would have been automated in response to the port and they might not have realised that you ported to Public Mobile. You're right, it wasn't fair of me to make that statement given they did reach out to you first. I'm sorry.

@WB1995 wrote:..And as far as Public Mobile being 2nd tier, that line now has full bars of signal as opposed to Fido's single bar of tower strength.

The different provider tiers have nothing to do with signal strength. The signal strength a phone might receive is dependent, in part, on its location relative to the cellular towers. The different providers don't necessarily have their cellular towers at the same locations (see here). If you're getting better signal with Public Mobile, that's because your location is closer to a Telus tower. If you had switched to Chatr, your signal would likely have been the same as with Fido as they use the same Rogers towers, even though Chatr is a 2nd tier provider.

Again, I apologise and hope this helps 😀

Cheers

WB1995

Yes, cellular towers make all the difference.  The link you sent showing towers in my area in Surrey, BC show Rogers/Fido has only invested in one tower, yet the same map radius shows 7 telus towers. More towers = better cell signal = better phone service.

Hello again,

Yes, Telus tends to have better coverage in Western Canada. They mainly operate in Western Canada so they can concentrate investments to a more localised area. While they do offer Nationwide service, they do so by sharing cellular towers with Bell. Note that is not the same as the roaming agreements.

@WB1995 wrote:...Rogers/Fido has only invested in one tower,...

That statement implies Rogers hasn't made the effort to make investments in the area. However, there are many factors which need to be considered, not just a provider's desire to improve coverage. One such factors is that no one wants a tower in their backyard. The Township of Langley actually have a municipal telecommunications tower policy which requires the community to vote on new potential cellular towers. Furthermore, Rogers had applied to add cellular towers in the Fraser Heights community. However, after significant opposition, they withdrew their proposal (see here). Any decision to erect additional cellular towers does not lie solely on the mobile providers. It would require discussion with the community and local municipality.

It's great that you get better cellular reception at your location with Public Mobile. Again, that has nothing to do with their service offerings. Other customers might get better reception with a different provider. What's best for you is dependent on your particular set of circumstances. What's best for another customer would depend on their situations. No one provider will suit everybody everywhere. That's the nature of cellular service.

Cheers

WB1995

Thanks for the info. I did not know some areas put up road blocks for new towers. That being said Telus/Public Mobile seems to provide much better cell signal strength here. I don't know why Rogers couldn't get more towers here when Telus has seven in the same area.  When I zoomed out on the tower map to a much larger area, Rogers only has 5 towers vs close to 50 Telus towers. Clearly Telus invested more in this area and was maybe better suited to work with the local community & local municipality.