cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a plan to receive text messages overseas?

MauricioMP
I'm a participant level 1

Hi, some help here please. I saw on community boards here that we can receive text messages with Fido overseas. But the problem is I´m traveling for more than 2 months. Do I need a monthly plan to receive text messages, or can I just be on a pre-paid plan, which is ideal for the cost? I can´t pay $14/day while out of the country, it´s ridculously expensive. 

6 REPLIES 6

armag

Hey! 

Along same lines... how do I know if with my plan I am eligible for roaming? I just want to receive text messages while abroad.

I am currently on 8GB plan with unlimited call and text Canada wife and additional charges for the phone. I am flying in next hour or so and hoping that when I land my roaming stays on. 

Any assistance would be appreciated. 

Hello Armag,

Happy New Year and Welcome to the community!

From what you note, it sounds like you are financing a device. If so, your plan would include Fido Roam. While receiving SMS would not incur the roaming charge, it's worth mentioning that the data contained within MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and charged accordingly. You should note that MMS are not solely restricted to pictures or video messages. Messages with subject headers or group messages etc are also considered MMS. In addition, if you subscribe to the Premium Voicemail-to-Text add-on, those notifications would also be MMS.

You might consider disabling any MMS auto-retrieve settings on your phone. You would then receive a SMS notifying of a MMS (no charge) but the data contained would not download automatically. You could then choose whether or not to download the associated data contents. You should also note that, with the exception of Wifi-calling, MMS does not generally get transmitted via Wifi. Downloading MMS while connected to Wifi would still use the networks and likely incur roaming charges. That said, if your device is supported for Wifi-calling, some types of usage would be considered roaming.

It should also be mentioned that roaming coverage is dependent on the local networks. If your destination is not adequately covered, Fido might not be able to provide full roaming services. As well, a special note regarding travels to the US should als o be mentioned. The US has recently shut-down their '3G' networks (see here). If your phone and plan are not voice-over-LTE (voLTE) capable, you might not be able to use voice or messaging services.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

sfhg

I have a similar question. Do I get charged fro receiving text messages in the USA if I am not on Fido Roaming?

Hello Sfhg,

Welcome to the community!

What plan do you have? As mentioned in the solution, some plans do not allow for roaming. If your plan is capable of roaming, receiving SMS does not incur roaming charges (ie Fido Roam). However, you should note that the data contained within MMS (incoming or outgoing) would be considered roaming data and therefore would incur roaming charges. You should also note that MMS are not solely restricted to pictures or video messages. Messages with subject headers or group messages etc are also considered MMS.

You might consider disabling any MMS auto-retrieve settings on your phone. You would then receive a SMS notifying of a MMS (no charge) but the data contained would not download automatically. You could then choose whether or not to download the associated data contents. You should further note that, with the exception of Wifi-calling, MMS does not generally get transmitted via Wifi. Downloading MMS while connected to Wifi would likely incur roaming charges. That said, if your device is supported for Wifi-calling, some types of usage would not incur roaming charges.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Arghargh

Could you make this process anymore convoluted??? Terrible company. Ever call customer service? Usually you can't hear them because of their cheap phones... it's a phone company that's too cheap to supply their customer service agents with working phones🤦

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello MauricioMP,

Welcome to the community!

If you do not wish to travel using Fido Roam, you might consider opting out of the service. Once you are confirmed to have the service disabled on your account, your usage abroad would be on a pay-per-use basis. If you choose to travel without Fido Roam, you might consider disabling data and roaming data as those charges can add up quite quickly.

Alternatively, you can also travel and use your services on a pay-per-use basis with pre-paid plans. You can view the pay-per-use rates for both post-paid and pre-paid plans here.

What plan do you have (or thinking of choosing)? You should note that some plans do not allow for roaming. You would need to verify that your plan is compatible with roaming.

In addition, you might consider verifying whether your phone is compatible with the local networks at your destination.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers