cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Roaming

jogrady1
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Is there a way to disable roaming and possibly remove charges? 

I live near the border and get charged $8 roaming for walking down the street. 

3 REPLIES 3

ankurborwankar
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I don't intend to use Fido roaming services, how can I make sure that I am not billed on roaming charges?

Hi there @ankurborwankar

To understand how you will be billed while roaming, please follow this guide that we already put up for you.

We also have a FAQs on our website that explain our Fido Roam vs our Pay-Per-Use services.

If you do not want to use your Fido services at all while abroad, we would suggest you to remove your SIM card from your device simply.

Hope that helps!

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @jogrady1

Have you already had the chance to speak with one of our agents to have this looked into?

To clarify, the automatic message you receive is simply a welcome message to inform you of the applicable charges at your current destination. It does not mean that you've been billed. On our end, we will only charge you if there is usage made while roaming using your Fido SIM card. That is the only way we can track a communication to your device. Billed usage are calls (incoming and outgoing), sent texts (incoming are free), and mobile data.

However, since you live near the border there are some solutions we can suggest:

1. Manually selecting your network carrier on your device and set it to Fido. You phone will not connect to other networks.
  2. Contact us at these channels to add a roaming restriction. Your phone will not have no service when you leave Canada, and you can always request to have it removed should you decide to use your phone while travelling.