cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Upgrade

Creader55
I'm a participant level 2

I have been trying to upgrade my phone for the last few months without changing my plan to XXL.  Is there a reason why Fido doesn't price-match with their competitors? I've been with the company for 17 years and I really don't understand what the benefit would be to stick around if freedom is offering the same thing I have  with a better phone. 

6 REPLIES 6

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

this is why always get your phone 'simfree' = contract free = outright purchase = freedom to choose plan

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Creader55,

Welcome to the community!

I understand Freedom might appear to offer the same as your current plan for less money. However, it's not really the same as your current plan. They often have more appealingly priced plans because they offer lesser service -- their coverage is still rather limited. I posted a comparison of Freedom vs Rogers coverage here.

I do not wish to bad-mouth any particular provider. However, people should be aware that there can be potentially significant differences between the providers and the services they offer which can reflect in the pricing of plans. They might seem like great deals, but sometimes you might just be not paying for what you're not getting.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Creader55

Welcome to the Community Smiley 

First, thanks for your loyalty, 17 years doesn't go unnoticed !

We do our best to remain competitive, we definitely want to keep our customers and we'll do everything we can on our end to provide you with our very best offers. We value your loyalty however there's many things to factor in when it comes to our available offers. 

As mentioned by @Cawtau , coverage is important to consider! With Fido, you can count on a reliable and consistent network that covers 97 % of Canadians from coast-to-coast ! 

You can also connect in more places with Extended Coverage at no extra cost!  We offer fully deployed 700 Mhz spectrum and in-building micronetworks that provide better and stronger signal! 

Not to mention  Fido Roam™ , Fido Xtra and Data Bytes! You can find out more about Fido perks right here

If you're still not convinced Fido is the way to go, let us know and we'll be happy to send you a PM to look at the available options! 

Creader55

I’ve had quite a few conversations with people who have moved on from Fido/Rogers to freedom who are happy with the service, price, hardware and phone plans. I’ve gone the extra mile and compared my bills with them, and spoken with their representatives about my current situation here. 

I’ve had many conversations with the Fido staff, who have been pleasant to deal with, but at the end of the day couldn’t give me what I was looking for. I then spoke with a work colleague who had the same amount of loyalty years as I do with Fido and she ended up with the plan and phone that I wanted. I even spoke to Telus who’s willing to give me the same because I have my internet/cable with them. 

That being said, I would prefer not to throw a 17 year relationship away. Then again, what does it matter if longevity and loyalty doesn’t really seem be important?

Sending a PM your way @Creader55

Talk soon.

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

If Freedom actually came close to the same service as any of the big 3 everyone would be climbing over each other to sign up. Talk to a few actual Freedom customers and you'll quickly find out why they are so cheap.