Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Balance of $0

rperneel
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hello,

Just curious about a process.  Both lines on my plan have a decive balance of $0, I would have expected my monthly price would have adjusted to reflect that I am no longer paying off my phones.  Is this not the case?  Is there any way to keep my current data plan, but shift to a bring your own device plan?  Looking at phone prices as another option to upgrade, it seems like it would be cheaper to have a bring your own device plan, then add a new phone to it.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Rperneel,

Welcome to the community!

If your contract has already ended, it's likely you have a subsidised plan. You should note that Fido has recently switched from their old subsidy model to a financed Payment Program. With the subsidised plans, the cost of devices was incorporated into the cost of plans (ie Small, Medium, Large, etc). With the new model, the cost of devices is separate from the cost of plans.

If your plan is a subsidised plan, your monthly billing will not automatically be reduced. It is not possible to simply remove the subsidy from older plans so you would need to switch to a new plan. However, you should note that the details of the new plans may not be the same as your current plan.

You are able to keep your grandfathered plan, though as mentioned, the cost would not be reduced. However, you should also note that if you did not switch plans, you will not automatically get a new cellphone. In order to finance another device, you would also need to switch to a new plan as the old subsidised plans are not compatible with the new financed model.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers