Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing ownership of Fido phone account

FidoOdif
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hello,

Under my mobile account are 2 cell phone numbers - my son's mobile number and my mobile number. Now that my son is 18 years old, I would like him to open a new, separate account under his own name with his own account number so he can take over responsibility/ownership for his own mobile number. I understand that this cannot be done on the Fido website and must be done over the phone or at a Fido kiosk? I was also told there is a $50 fee associated with a transfer of responsibility/ownership from one account to a new account? I find this to be somewhat disappointing. I seem to recall that adding a second mobile number to an existing account costs nothing, yet there is a fee to transfer a mobile number to a new account??

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello FidoOdif,

Welcome to the community!

If you would like your son to take over his own account, that would be a Transfer of Responsibility (TOR) of his line (see also here). Yes, there would be a fee for the transfer (see here).

Both you and he should note that your son would need to open his own account at the time of transfer and that a credit evaluation would be needed.

I understand you might not have required to pay any set-up fees when you previously added a second line. If you added the line yourself on Fido.ca, the fee would have been waived. Generally, the set-up fee will incur when assistance is provided with purchases etc (ie in-store, customer service, Live Chat, etc). Unfortunately, a TOR cannot be done by ourselves. It would be necessary to perform the TOR with the assistance of customer service.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers