Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant get LTE on Fido 3GB Tablet Plan

Vijay_vp
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi,
I recently got the Fido 3GB Tablet plan on april 2 i was suppose to get an tablet but ended up settling for a phablet an Samsung Galaxy note 4 which was locked to videtron that i got unlocked. My problem is i am not able to get lte network status on my note 4 it is only available in 4g i have tried another simcard and was able to see lte connection on my phone so far these are the steps i have tried to fix this issue

1.reset the device, changed the csc to fido
2.tried the apn settings suggested in the community.
3.got the network reset on fido end
4.went to an fido store tried the sim on a test phone still didnt connect to lte was stuck on 3g on an iphone
5.got a new simcard to replace the old one
6.got the network reset again

After all the steps i have taken im still stuck on 4g network status with no solution so if anyone can help me out it will me much appreciated

20 REPLIES 20

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Vijay_vp,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, since the Videotron Note 4 is the same Canadian version of the device, SM-N910W8 (as shown on user's manual, here), it should have all of the compatible LTE bands/frequencies.

@Vijay_vp wrote:
... i have tried another simcard and was able to see lte connection on my phone..

Just to clarify, were you able to see LTE on your Note 4 with another SIM card or was that on a different phone? Was that SIM card from Fido as well? If you were able to see LTE on the Note 4 with another SIM, then the settings on the device should be correct...

@Vijay_vp wrote:
2.tried the apn settings suggested in the community.
4.went to an fido store tried the sim on a test phone still didnt connect to lte was stuck on 3g on an iphone
5.got a new simcard to replace the old one

To also clarify, the device should be using ltemobile.apn. Have you verified the device's network mode is set to GSM/WCDMA(UMTS)/LTE?

Did you try the new SIM card at the store on the iPhone? If you did, was it able to connect to LTE?

Do you also have another Fido plan/device? If you do, are you able to get LTE with that plan/device? Is it possible that you're not in an area covered by LTE? You can get an idea of the bands/frequencies of your surrounding towers here.

While it is true that some devices denote LTE as 4G, it's also possible that the device is using 4G to denote HSPA+ (H+). Have you tried using the android code *#0011# (see here)? That code should provide you with the RF status of the phone. That is, it should tell you to which band/frequency your phone is connected. You can verify the bands/frequencies here

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Vijay_vp

Hi Cawtau,

To answer your questions

1. I was able to see lte status on my note 4 by using my friends sim which was with bell or koodo.

2. I have it on the default apn which pops up when i put the fido sim Ltemobile.apn at the moment but i have tried everything from all caps to lower case With no luck 

Network mode (GSM/HSPA/LTE) auto connect 

3. Went to fido store tried my sim in an iphone only showed 3G so proceeded to change my sim the rep suggested i try the new sim in an store phone before i even put it in my note 4, we tried it in an iphone which also stayed stuck on 3G status 

And we waited a while for it to connect to lte but no luck so she told me it might be an issue with the network side because fido was having some network issues recently. I dont have another fido plan to try in my phone but im very certain i live in an area covered by lte with no doubt.

When i tried the android code (*#0011#) i see that the phone is connected on band 2 

When i use android code (*#2263#)

And force the note 4 to only use LTE Mode i get no connection when i leave it on automatic i get network connection but limited to 4G status and speeds when i should be getting LTE status and speeds when my plan supports it.

Thanks for the help any help to solve my problem is appreciated 

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information.

It is possible there is a network issue with LTE locally. Have you checked whether there might be an outage or issue in your area? You can do so with the Network Aid, here. It could also be a provisioning issue with your plan, though they have already reset your network previously...

Are you unable to get LTE with the Note 4 and SIM everywhere or is it limited to certain locations? I understand the area may be covered by LTE, however, there are a number of factors that can affect signal and signal strength (ie buildings, trees, local terrain)(see here). In addition, the LTE bands/frequencies available at your closest tower could be a factor as well. Not all bands/frequencies are available at all towers.

The different bands/frequencies have varying travel distances and decay rates (see graphic here). They would also be affected by interference differently, with the higher frequencies being affected more than the lower frequencies. You noted that your device connects with band 2 (1900MHz). If your surrounding towers do not use bands 12 or 17 (700MHz) your location could be beyond the reach of the other Fido/Rogers LTE bands/frequencies.

You might consider returning to the Fido store to see if any of their devices can get LTE at that location. If they can, a trial of one of their SIMs in your device might prove informative.

I understand that you were able to get LTE when using your friends' SIMs with different providers. It's possible that your location is closer to those towers. Each of the mobile providers have their cellular towers strategically placed. Their placement may benefit some customers, but it might not benefit others. The roaming agreements (extended coverage) were meant to allow all customers access to the other networks -- at least temporarily.

Have you tried to enable roaming on your device? With extended coverage, you might be able to connect to the other towers as Fido-EXT. You should note, however, that use of extended coverage is only meant on a temporary basis. If you regularly exceed 50% usage on their networks, the service may be blocked.

That said, you might not be able to access Fido-EXT if your device is able to access the networks with '3G'.

**edit**

@Vijay_vp wrote:

And force the note 4 to only use LTE Mode i get no connection when i leave it on automatic i get network connection but limited to 4G status and speeds when i should be getting LTE status and speeds when my plan supports it.

While HPSA+ (H+ or 4G) is a protocol which utilises the UMTS (WCDMA) network. HSPA+ networks are capable of delivering 4G speeds (see here). The speeds should be comparable to LTE**

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

Vijay_vp
@Cawtau
Thank you for taking the time to assist me with my problem

From checking online for network outages also using network aid i see no issues preventing me from having lte status, when using network aid i see good indoors and outdoors coverage. I dont believe its an provisioning issue since i have already passed the partial billing cycle.

I havent seen lte status on this plan from the day i have activated it. I have been to many places throughout the city with no luck of lte status always remained on 4G status i do remember
Seeing H+ status once.

When i was at the fido store the store had access to lte coverage my sim was the one with 4G connection but i didnt get a chance to try another fido sim on my note 4 which i will try to do this weekend.

Im located in montreal and i have tested my friends sim in dowtown montreal where coverage shouldnt be an issue for any canadian carrier i also have roaming turned on.

I was able to see Fido-EXT network only when i forced my note 4 to lte mode only but when i tried registering the network it failed all the time.

In terms of the 4G status it doesn't really affect me as much since im able to reach 10MB download and 1MB upload lol but when im doing research and reading articles and the pages take for ever to load it kinda bothers me that im paying for an lte capable tablet plan and i have tried every thing fido has suggested inorder to fix the problem with no luck....

Only solutions i have left to try is
1. Another fido sim from another account and see if i get lte status.
2.Remove my current plan and readd it to my account like illusion87 has mentioned.

illusion87
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2
I had this same issue when I first got my 3gb plan. I find it funny how all the excuses that were fed to me about it must be the tablet or the area for connection.
My issue was fixed.
For some reason when I got my 3gb plan it wasn't setup properly, all i got was 3G sometimes 4G service and boy was it slow! I had to have the plan deleted and readded as for some reason I was paying for the plan and it was there but wasn't setup on fido end.

Had to call in to fix as fido store reps wouldn't bother to fix other than changing my tablet and sim cards.

Also if you have a fido cell phone try putting that sim card into it to see if it will pick up lte if not I bet the issue lies with fido.

Goodluck I hope this issue gets fixed for you.

Vijay_vp
Hi illusion87,

Im glad to hear that you are the only person other then me who has had this issue with this same plan which has been resolved now, I have been searching the internet for information on this issue with no solutions and have tried pretty much everything fido has told me to do with no success but i have a feeling my problem is the same problem you had and your solution will do me wonders but the only issue is fido no longer offers the promo 3GB tablet plan for 15$ if i remove the plan and try to readd the plan i will only have the option to add the 2GB tablet plan for 15$ if im not mistaken i would have to wait until fido has this exact promo again if they ever have it again unless someone else has another method on removing and readding the same plan which is not available anymore.....

I went to an fido store and tried my sim in an fido iphone to see if i get lte status with no success the rep switched simcards and tried it on the iphone and again no luck remained on 4G status issue was on fido end.

Thanks for your solution on how you resolved your issue with not getting lte status on your tablet plan.

Oops, my bad, @Cawtau Sad

Seems like you have done it all from your end, @Vijay_vp.

I'm going to send you a PM to look further into it. 

Thanks!

wackojacko
I'm a participant level 2

I seem to be having the same issue, connectivity is spotty a best and I don't see LTE.  I'm using a Phablet as well, Sony Aqua M4 from Rogers, which I believe uses the same frequencies as Fido so I should get good reception.  I've done similar troubleshooting, except for visiting fido store, I've put the sim in another phone and only 4G, and tried another fido sim in my device and it said LTE.

Has the LTE issue been solved?

Hey wackojacko!

Welcome to the Community!

Is the same thing happening everywhere or only in a specific location? 

Are you running the latest software version on your device? Also, do you have the model number for your phone?

Let us know! 

wackojacko

I Have the E2306 Sony Aqua M4, it runing androis 6.0.1.

It has connectivity issues all over the place.  in my house I rarely have a connection and it just keeps searching, luckily I'm on my wifi so not a major deal.  But I'll be out at store, etc and jsut not have a signal or it will connect then loose the signal.  

Hey there @wackojacko

Where are you located on our network? Are you certain you live in an LTE coverage zone? Here's a link to our map so you can check.

If you are within LTE coverage, have you tried resetting your phone? In my experience, a good ol' reset fixes practically any issue. Here's how you can reset it:

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Select Backup & Reset.
  3. Select Factory Data Reset and then Reset Phone.
  4. Choose Erase Everything if you are sure you want to clear all your data. (you might want to consider backing up your phone first)
  5. Select OK to begin the process.

If you're still having issues after that, let us know and we'll continue to trouble shoot together.

-FidoStephane 

I've had the same issue. My issue was with not having the tablet plan registered on my account properly. I would get 3g or 4g but never lte. It took a few days to find out but after calling fido they had to "redo" my 3gb data plan. Something on their end wasn't acknowledging that I had a data plan on the account. Hope this helps.

Hi @Vijay_vp,

I highly suggest that you try your sim in a Fido phone to see if the Lte works. We can't always guarantee full functionality of services on unlocked phones since they have not been tested on Fido's network. 

Keep us all posted!

@FidoFaiza wrote:

Hi @Vijay_vp,

I highly suggest that you try your sim in a Fido phone to see if the Lte works. We can't always guarantee full functionality of services on unlocked phones since they have not been tested on Fido's network. 

Hello FidoFaiza,

They did try their SIM in a Fido iPhone at the Fido store with no success. They even switched to a new SIM at the store with the same result. So the issue does not seem like it has to do with a unlocked device. Also, since other Fido devices at the store were able to access LTE, the problem does not sound like a coverage issue either.

From the information they have provided so far, the issue sounds likely specific to their account or plan settings...

@Vijay_vp Your best option is to contact Fido customer service or possibly technical support to see what changes can be corrected on your account. They can be reached through any of these venues here. Alternatively, you can send a PM to a moderator so they'll be able to access your account details.

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Vijay_vp I understand you got the phone from Videotron, some phones from different providers displays LTE as 4G. 

According the Wikipedia Videotron displays LTE as 4G also see here.

Here is a good article explaining it.

videotron.jpg

Vijay_vp

Hi Kapable-k,

From the information i have gathered the version of note 4 i have is an canadian version SM-N910W8 which also supports Lte when i tried my friends sim in my note 4 which was an bell or koodo sim i was able to see lte status at the top instead of 4g so im very certain my phone is capable of lte.

Thanks for the help any help to solve my problem is appreciated 

@Vijay_vpThat's great so we know the phone is capable of displaying the correct LTE symbol. I know you said you change the SIM card also can you try it in a different device and see if you can get it to display LTE.

You can also try setting your network to LTE only and see if you can force it to connect to the LTE network.

Double check your APN settings to make sure its correct you can find the APN settings here.

I would also suggest a factory reset if you haven't done so already and if all the other troubleshooting did not work.

Vijay_vp

@KAPABLE-K I have used the android code (*#2263#) and forced my note 4 to lte only mode no luck i dont get an network connection made sure apn setting is right also tried multiple resets no luck i have tried everything possible on the internet before posting on the community.

@Vijay_vp If you put another SIM in the phone from a different provider and you can see the LTE and if you put the Fido SIM in another device and can not get LTE connection then the problem has to be on Fido side. 

I can't ever recall seeing a 4g symbol since i've been using Fido and having data.

Vijay_vp
@KAPABLE-K i came to the same conclusion after trying all steps i have mentioned, that the problem is on fido side but yet i still dont have an solution but there is one step i haven't tried which was mentioned by illusion87 which i cant try since the plan i have is not available no more....