Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada-wide calling / UNLIMITED evenings and weekends

SDaniel
I'm a participant level 2

Hi there!

I am just about to upgrade my plan but a question comes to my head. 
The short description for this new plan says the following:

• Talk: Unlimited Canada min (3)
  • Text: Unlimited (4)

The full description and features for this new plan mention, among others, the following:

• Canada-wide calling (3)
  • UNLIMITED evenings and weekends

Where 3 is: Calls from Canada to Canadian numbers only, billed by the minute. Additional minutes: 50¢/min (Call Forwarding: 20¢/min).

And here I get confused. When am I going to be charged for additional minutes? Why does it say billed by the minute if it's Unlimited Canada-wide calling? Is it really unlimited but only on evenings and weekends?

The full description and conditions don't help me to understand how Fido charges for additional fees (if any) on this plan. 

If it helps, it's a new offer for Fido customers, though I see the same description for all the plans, not only the offers. And my number is from Quebec. 

Thanks in advance!

9 REPLIES 9

Kdjang

My current plan clearly states that I have unlimited calling in Canada.  There is no mention of weeknights and weekends nor billing by the minute charge.  My current plan's language is clear and simple.  Sounds like the new plans that I am being offered have indeed changed.  I believe the "unlimited calling" is when you make calls on "Weeknights from 5 p.m. to 7 a.m. and weekends from Friday 5 p.m. to Monday 7 a.m. - (bullet 6)".  If you call outside of these periods you are charged 50 cents/minute (bullet 3).

Hello Kdjang,

Welcome to the community!

I don't think the Unlimited calling has changed. Those full description details do not indicate whether there are any minute allotments associated with the plan. That detail only denotes that any included minutes (limited or unlimited) would include long-distance for calls made to Canadian phone numbers.

I do understand what you're saying, though. The details of my current plan only mention Unlimited Canadawide minutes as well. However, I do remember the same weekend and evening stipulation stated in the full description when I got my plan (years ago). I think our plan details don't mention those stipulations because they include unlimited minutes, whereas the full description details provided when purchasing are more generic for both limited and unlimited minute plans. As mentioned previously, the minute information under the details are redundant if the plan has Unlimited Canada minutes because evenings and weekends would already be included. Also, the additional minutes are not applicable since the plan already includes unlimited minutes. While most plans do include unlimited minutes, some plans have a limited number of call minutes included for which the evening and weekend detail would apply.

It should be noted that the Canada-wide minutes include calls made to Canadian phone numbers while you are within Canada. If you use services outside of Canada (even calls to Canadian phone numbers; note Wifi-calling exception), that would be considered roaming and additional roaming charges would apply.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello SDaniel,

I can understand the confusion! The minute information under the details are redundant if the plan has Unlimited Canada minutes because evenings and weekends would already be included. Also, the additional minutes are not applicable since the plan already includes unlimited minutes Those details originated for plans with limited minutes like some of Fido's older plans. I'm not sure why Fido continues lists the additional minute cost and Unlimited evenings and weekends and circle calling in the details for plans with Unlimited Canada minutes.

Any plan which includes Unlimited Canada minutes would offer you unlimited Canada-wide calling anytime.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

SDaniel

Thanks @Cawtau!

Very helpful answer. I'll check again the plan again and will make the upgrade during the day. 

Thanks again!

mac100
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Perhaps, there has been a change...  It now says Canada-wide calling (No "unlimited")

To me that leaves open the possibility that I'll pay $0.50 per minute between 7am and 5pm.

Or perhaps, there are 500 minutes included?  How is this possible that the website has two glaring errors?  

@Cawtau 

Hello again,

Where are you seeing those changes? Are you referring to pre-paid or post-paid plans? As far as I can tell, all of their post-paid plans which include talk state Talk: Unlimited Canada min in their short descriptions. The details might mention Canada-wide calling as a feature of the included minutes. However, is that not the same as what was shown previously like in your original post? There are some plans which do not include any calling. However, the details of those plans do not mention minutes at all.

If the plans state that they include Talk: Unlimited Canada min, then there are no time-of-day restrictions nor limit restrictions.

Some pre-paid plans do offer a limited number of included minutes, but it would be stated.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

jacksprocket

im confused as well see below so is it unlimited canada calling 24/7 or not?website offer full details.jpgwebsite offer.jpg

Hello @jacksprocket,

The plan does have unlimited Canada-wide calling, the footnote would only apply to plans with a fixed amount of minutes or with no minutes.

However, no plan comes with free call forwarding so if you do call forwarding you will be charged as noted in your screenshot unless you have the add-on that gives you 2500 free call forwarding minutes.

Kdjang

I would like to thank everyone for clarifying this topic.  Have a great day everyone and enjoy the long weekend.