cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t phone on What’s up to Germany

Christel52
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

In the last month or so I have not been able to phone my sister on What's up to Germany in my own home. I have to walk outside and walk around in my neighborhood to talk with her. Before that I had no problem at all with my I phone 6.

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Christel52,

Are you referring to WhatsApp? If you are, that app's services use data (Wifi or cellular data). Had you changed your phone or are you still using the iPhone 6? Are you able to use your other services (ie Talk and/or Text) at home? Are you able to use other data at your home?

You should note that the nature of cellular service is that it relies on proximity to, and adequate signal from cellular towers. You can verify your area cellular towers here. Since cellular service is transmitted via airwaves, many factors can also affect cellular signal (see here and here). Are there any new possible sources of signal interference between your home and the cellular towers? In addition, you should note that the different bands/frequencies used vary in their characteristics. For example, the lower frequencies (ie 700MHz) are better able to travel farther and penetrate deeper into buildings than higher frequencies (ie 2600MHz)(see graphic here).

If you are able to use your phone at home for Talk and/or Text, the cellular signal is strong enough for that purpose. However, the signal might not be strong enough at that location to sustain a data connection for a WhatsApp call.

If you are using a different phone (other than your iPhone 6), it's possible your new phone's cellular reception is not as good as your old phone.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers